Women's experiences on live-aboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

We're doing a live-aboard in March and I've been told to basically expect "camping" accommodations - very little privacy - but lots of great diving, food and drinks. Has anyone done the Blackbeard live-aboard - and what did you think of it? What were the highlights and what things should I absolutely leave at home and absolutely bring? What are experiences I should try to participate in if offered and what is a waste of time? I'm really looking forward to the variety of diving experiences AND being able to add so many dives to my log book. I should pass 100 FINALLY! And no, I'm not doing my 100th dive naked!!!! (everyone will thank me for that!).

Kimela

I've not done this particular liveaboard, but I have done a few although most can't really be described as 'roughing it'!

I would say, leave fancy clothes, makeup, hairdryer etc. You only need a couple of swim suits and something to cover up with in the evenings. I have the most mental hair, so my one luxury is some argan oil, just to keep it under control!! In my experience, dress code is very casual. I would recommend sea sickness pills if you've never done a liveaboard before, and some sort of decongestant just in case. I find that ibuprofen helps when my ears get 'tired' so we always take plenty. Soft suitcases are the way to go - storage is usually limited.

Overall - enjoy, and good luck on your 100!!

Krazyklaws, thank you for your response! There have been 232 views of this thread and you're the only one to respond - I don't know if women don't want to tell about their experiences, there are no women who have been on Blackbeard's, or if we all are waiting for someone else to go first!!!

I have high maintenance hair so between now and March I'm working on finding a style that is basically "comb and let dry" - and/or bringing a couple of baseball caps! I'm so excited about the variety of dives offered - and I spoke with a woman who not only has done a lot of Blackbeard dives and loved it, but also GOT MARRIED on one!!

Now that it's January 1st I have to hustle to get in dive shape ... kettle bells and good eating ...

Hi All,

We're doing a live-aboard in March and I've been told to basically expect "camping" accommodations - very little privacy - but lots of great diving, food and drinks. Has anyone done the Blackbeard live-aboard - and what did you think of it? What were the highlights and what things should I absolutely leave at home and absolutely bring? What are experiences I should try to participate in if offered and what is a waste of time? I'm really looking forward to the variety of diving experiences AND being able to add so many dives to my log book. I should pass 100 FINALLY! And no, I'm not doing my 100th dive naked!!!! (everyone will thank me for that!).

Kimela

It's been a few years, but I've been on Blackbeard's twice (when they were going out of Freeport). It is rather spartan. Your privacy is the curtain over your bunk. If you can, try to get one of the bunks in the main Salon. It is noisier there, but the bunks are bigger. As for packing, take your diving gear, a couple swim suits, a towel & wash cloth, Skivvies for the week & only a few shorts & shirts (wear each a couple days) & any meds & toiletries. Remember, you pretty much have to sleep with what you bring. The dive gear is stored in lockers under the outside benches. There is a small shelf in each bunk, but it is not at all roomy. The cruises were tons of fun (execpt for the 1 or 2 that liked to cause trouble). The diving was good, the crew were very good & a hoot! Don't expect the crew to pamper you, it won't happen. They expect all divers to be able to handle themselves competently in most cases. Rarely is there a dive master in the water. However their briefs were very good! The food was top notch. They do have some activities that you are welcome to join if you'd like- Setting the sails, fishing, lobster hunting (if in season), a land excursion & usually a beach party. Personally, I liked to take a between dive snooze in my bunk. If it is a full boat, it will be crowded, just be patient. If not full, then it can be a bit more enoyable (1 cruise I went on had 9 of us + crew, another was full with 22 of us + crew)

172.jpgKimela,

for one I would assume you have been on Blackbeard website and are familiar with the boat layout. If not, I would recommend you have a quick look. I will also attempt to post some pictures to give you an idea of how much ( I mean little) room you may expect for yourself and your belongings.

I went end Feb - beg Mar 2011, so the time period will be relatively similar with yours. Air temp 73 - 81F (daytime and it got cooler in the evening and at night), breezy, at times sunny and at time cloudy. Recommend a wind breaker of some sort, a fleece (to warm up between dives when cloudy and breezy) with track pants, shorts, T shirt, light and medium weight sweaters. I went with my Gf and we ended up with another couple in cabin # 5 with a small shelf at the end of your double size bed to contain all of our belongings. Folks sleeping either in the forward portion of the boat or in the common area (dining area) were able to either use the upper bunk to store their soft sided bagage or use it as a sleeping companion (as mentioned by tstormdiver)in a duffle bag type.

Diving gear storage: weights, fins, mask etc end up under the seat in the horsehoe area in front of the cockpit. Wetsuits, boots, gloves, socks and towel...secured on the safety lines surrounding the vessel with oversize clothes pins. BC/BP&Wg and regs assembled and mounted on your cylinder behind the cockpit (they will remain there until the end of the trip unscrewing only the first stage to hook up the air hoses from the compressor). Diving/carrying cases remained at the shore facility in Nassau and were recuperated only at the end of the trip.

Water temp - 73 - 75F. I am a warm person and dove a full length 7mm the entire week (20 dives total) without a hood but some folks dove with a beenie. In fact, probably the only time you will experience a completely dry wetsuit will be on your first dive. After that, you will experience various degree of wetness for the remainder of the week.

121.jpg127.jpg141.jpg149.jpg125.jpg126.jpg122.jpg124.jpg

Last edited:
The one item I always rely on when doing a liveaboard is a hooded sweatshirt. Also a couple of sarongs as they can provide so many functions.

The one item I always rely on when doing a liveaboard is a hooded sweatshirt. Also a couple of sarongs as they can provide so many functions.

I did one...not the one your talking about but yep..took way to many clothes, take just bare minimum..the only issue I had was that I should have taken a travel rug to put on my bed because the AC was way to cold...but all you'll be doing is eating, diving and sleeping!! Have fun!!!

My first dive trip after certification was with Blackbeards. Will never forget that first giant stride off the side into the blue Caribbean! I look back at it as a good "boot camp" experience to liveaboard diving. Had an excellent buddy and learned some good lessons that have served me well in the years since. Was a great confidence builder too.

Altho I've been on boats with more amenities since, Blackbeards will always hold a special place in my logbook. It's fun to join in the activities but you can get some quiet time at the bow of the boat if you need it. Take a Kindle, a hoodie, a good insulated mug, and hat or visor. Earplugs are handy and I wouldn't leave home without my lemon/orange essential oil!

You'll avoid the hurricane season going in March but might want to take a hood or vest if you chill easily.

Thanks everyone! I've begun to collect all of the essentials - which doesn't amount to a very big bag, thank goodness - and now I have to start figuring out how to get rid of my layer of winter lubber I've collected!!! Good grief - I'm not a polar bear and we're well beyond caveman days - why does my body insist on retaining every calorie I consume (and beg for more as soon as local stores start decorating with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's themes?). Who ever came up with the phrase "love handles" anyway ... ? :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom