Women's Diving Issues - First Blue Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOWI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, everyone, this is my first post, so please pardon any procedural mistakes.

I'm having trouble finding any posts on the women's board (diving related section) other than the bathroom one, so thought I'd start one here.

Going on first "blue water" dive (not counting the "shore dive for non-divers" cruise ship excursion last summer).

Wondered, as a woman, are there any issues that I should be concerned about or plan for, other than the following two:

1) Menopause isn't getting here fast enough for me, but I was encouraged to read elsewhere on this forum that if you take the normal care, some people say "the aquatic life doesn't know the difference." Actually, I have heard of women going onto birth control pills or the like short-term in order to adjust the calendar for marathon running. I don't know if anyone even does that anymore, and it sounds like it will not be necessary, based on other posts. Does the group have additional comments?

2) Don't know if any other women have this issue, but I have a Buddy problem -- that is, a spousal buddy who does not understand boundaries. For example, my buddy seems to feel that "buddy check" on shore includes messing with my gear without asking/telling me. My buddy also seems to think that in the water, buddying means one person follows his gut and the other person follows him. We deal with this issue in some form on almost every dive. The current solution to this is that (a) our first Blue Water, we are going on a shorter with a group that includes people we know, including our Advanced Open Water instructor so I feel a bit more supported, and (b) I have made it clear that the extent of our future Blue Water dive schedule will depend on the success of this short, with friends, first dive. Don't get me wrong, my Buddy is a great person. Just sometimes his enthusiasm comes across as very controlling. I think that in the time after our last dive -- between then and now -- he is beginning to understand that he does this, which is a good step toward solving it.

Thanks for any comments. This post actually might be too broad, in which case, I'll learn from it, but thought the Women's Board could use some activity, and I'm going to gain comfort level with the upcoming Blue Water stuff by being able to raise the issues.

What else should I be planning for or thinking about?

I cant help you with your first problem....surgery is a beautiful thing :D thermal ablasion....more women should know about it.

2nd problem-you and your buddy need to be clear on EVERYTHING before you get into the water. I'm a Jersey diver so I don't count on my buddy for anything. Our viz is so bad that you have to be self sufficient. Carry an alternate air source and take more classes...you won't feel so anxietal and dependent on your buddy. And I refuse to dive with anyone that is really unsafe, not to say your buddy is, but don't dive with someone that is not aware of your concerns. There are plenty of divers looking for people to dive with. :wink:

Buddy problems... Can't dive with them, can't dive without them. :)

First things first. If your buddy keeps futzing with your gear on land and you don't like it (I wouldn't) then it's clear you tried the pretty please, nice girl method. For the next dive with said buddy, and he starts to touch your gear or re-arrange it in a way you don't like, be more firm and direct, try using the ancient dialect of guyspeak and the evil eye. :) How? By saying "Don't touch my s**t" and get him to make eye contact with you. Give him the look that you would give the evil neighborhood kids when they are doing something really stupid. Then position yourself between you and your gear at all times. By putting yourself between him and your gear you control his access. This works even better on boats.

If your gear is on and he's futzing for no reason, then take a step away and rotate a shoulder to put you between him and your gear. Then give him the evil eye.

For underwater work, just flat out tell him that you will be leading for the day. If you want to be nice tell him that you want to practice your navigation skills so that's why you want to lead.

It's seems like classic alpha personality behaviors and if you want things to change you have to be more assertive in how you approach him and in setting your expectations. Otherwise he's being a horses butt and you need to put sand in his wetsuit. :)

I am a spouse and my lovely bride is my buddy. From a male perspective (relative to touching gear) we males are a simple creature and we want to help. If you don' like or want the help, fine. Don't bother with "the evil eye" or other non-direct verbal communications. Just tell us directly. Please (insert name), let me setup my own gear. I don't like you fussing with it. Problem solved.

Dave

another male perspective:

tell your buddy "I don't want you touching my gear; it makes me feel uncomfortable. If i need your help, i will ask for it."

repeat that mantra 1,000 times every time he starts to touch your gear "Don't touch my stuff; if I need your help, I'll ask for it."

don't be stern. don't make it a joke. be matter of fact. pretend you are saying and use the same tone you would use to say "I need to change these shoes; they are making my feet hurt."

give him about five chances to "get it" (guys don't listen too good)

Once upon a time, long ago...........

My wife went on the pill before our vacation. She didn't want the inconvenience of having her period while on vacation/diving.

Definately tell your buddy to leave your equipment alone!!

Welcome to the Board!!!

I went on the pill to avoid the monthly visit on recent liveaboard in Thailand. It worked fabulously and I'll always plan to do that for every dive vacation.

1. Pads are a bad idea.

2. It's a male dominance thing. Tell him on the first dive YOU lead. He is to stay within five feet of YOU.

3. Tell him every time he touches your gear it's gonna cost him an expensive piece of jewelry at the next port of call. He'll either quit or you'll have some nice jewelry. :D

pennypue:

2. It's a male dominance thing. Tell him on the first dive YOU lead. He is to stay within five feet of YOU.

3. Tell him every time he touches your gear it's gonna cost him an expensive piece of jewelry at the next port of call. He'll either quit or you'll have some nice jewelry. :D

I hate to admit it but this if GREAT advice!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom