Women's BC Hunt!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohneys1:
I have the Diva and I am 5'10. Haven't had any problems with it as far as fit goes, but I can't get any air to dump out of the back or shoulder valve. That's my only complaint about it. Other than that, I'm happy and have done about 50 fives with it so far.
That sounds like a pretty big complaint!

I'm really happy with my new Scubapro Ladyhawk. It is very comfortable and adjusts to fit perfectly. I'm 5'8", size 6 and I ordered a medium. I probably could have gone with a small but it's fine and is more likely to fit family or friends if somebody needs to borrow it.
I don't use the integrated weight system. I like my little weight belt. So the only thing I would change would be to get rid of the bulky weight pockets and just have a more streamlined harness.

If I had been in the states I would have ordered a wing/ backplate system but I didn't feel confident about doing that from down here.

ladyhawk.gif

Before this one I had an Oceanic jacket style for over 10 years that was fine until it stopped holding air yet filled with water remarkably well. It was a comfortable jacket but it didn't stay put as well as the Ladyhawk does. For a while I had an old wing/backplate rig that didn't inflate but held the tank on my back and was almost invisible in photos.

My wife and my two daughters swear by their Zena.It conforms to their individual shape and forms nicely.I use a back plate/wing set up and consider it to be the best set up for anybody.But they are very happy with their Zena...and that makes me happy!You may want to try a backplate and a Zena,then decide for yourself.A backplate will last you nearly forever and never out of style!BCs are like cars...a couple of new models every year or two!

Try the Scubapro LadyHawk. I have one and I love it. It is a back bladder BC and I find if very comfortable. I tried the Diva on when I was looking to buy a new BC and I hated it. I felt it restricted my movement too much.

rje634:
My wife has the SeaQuest Eva and loves it, she has never had any discomfort wearing it in over 50 dives. Sounds like you have a simular build to her. In addition it was not as expensive as the Diva.

I have the eva and its awful. Im also looking for a new bc. As far as woman being able to wear mens bc's Im sure its fine if you have the body I would die for lol. Other wise there are a few bulges to consider that mens bc's dont address. I was diving with some friends recently and one of they guys had a halcyon. He looked ohhhhhh so comfy. Im starting to think all this bp/wing hype has merit.

My zip front Zena and my long-sleeved shorty make me look about 15 pounds lighter....I love diving!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Now if I could just forego the Dove and Ghiradelli chocolates....)

I'm new to this board, and relatively new to diving as well, and I've been wondering for a while what the whole deal with women's BCDs is, anyways? I'm about 5'7" and...well, quite definitely *not* built like a man, and so far I've only ever used unisex jacket style BCDs of the Mares/Dacor/Beauchat kinds. For me, as long as I can get an XS (ie: the rental counter isn't out of them, I've not got someone that's eyeballing me and thinking "medium", and/or I'm not wearing a particularly thick wetsuit (or clothing in the shop) making me a bit less flexible), they've been great, never even noticed problems with the chest straps I've heard some women elsewhere complain about (in fact I prefer them since that's one more place to hang things).

A small will do, if I can get myself in my preferred position to put it on and adjust it rather than someone else in a hurry trying to "help" me with it and then toss me in the water with nothing tightened the way I like it, but the mediums just don't fit, particularly as I'm more than a bit of a floater and need as little inherent buoyancy as possible to avoid having to wear 20+ lbs of lead in tropical waters. I have no idea why some people eyeball me as taking an XS and others a medium, but nobody ever thinks I could be in between and hands me a small right off, but...

Do the problems with unisex BCDs tend to pop up mostly in the weight integrated designs (which I've never used)? Do women's BCDs have less inherent buoyancy than similar men's ones? Cause it sure doesn't look like it's a color thing... ;-)

cowdog77:
My zip front Zena and my long-sleeved shorty make me look about 15 pounds lighter....I love diving!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Now if I could just forego the Dove and Ghiradelli chocolates....)

Oh, and you're bang on about the long-sleeved shorty one. It seems to defy the laws of physics that I can at least feel that I look lighter in one of those at 7mm than my regular 3mm shorty! Even after a breakfast consisting solely of chocolate-based dishes! ;-)

The main reason I went with the Ladyhawk is because I am not built like a guy. I have a rather large chest and the open front of the Ladyhawk wasn't binding like the rest. The back inflate isn't really hard to get used to either plus I don't have to worry about a heavy weight belt hanging on my hips since this BC is weight integrated. This BC is perfectly suited for women in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom