Women's BC Hunt!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, everyone, for your input! I learned to dive in a jacket style BC, but the more I read, the more it seems that most divers prefer the freedom and mobility of the back-inflates. Can anyone comment on how difficult it is for a beginner to use the back-inflate? Is it something that you become accustomed to fairly quickly? It also seems like some women prefer the support and surface stability of the jacket. Would love to hear some thoughts on that!

I just bought a new BCD. I started out trying the Diva LX and for me it worked fine, but the pockets weren't exactly right for what I need to carry and the front crossover velcro strap didn't allow enough access to my wetsuit (I stick my extra lens in there for quick access!)

I ended up with a Pro QD instead. It isn't a dedicated female BC, but so far it's a dream to wear. I don't even miss my old sturdy Spectrum IV that I was saddened to have to change from !

Just something to keep in mind - just because you are female, doesn't limit you to "female" gear. BTW - I also wear a unisex hooded vest and wetsuit even though there is a "female" version available...they simply fit a bit better.

I used a jacket style in my OW classes. I wanted a back inflate recently and thought I would have a BP/w's, but as soon as I tried it I fell in love. I noticed 2 big differences. For starters it keeps you horizontal. Different BC's react differently - I found that going from a horizontal to vertical position in the water was alot easier with a BP/W(the diverite transplate) as opposed to the Oceanic Chute III. The BP/W also kept me floating perfectly at the surface, whereas the Chute III pushed me forward. Having tested both in a small pool, I am without a doubt convinced that BP/ws are the way for me.
the other thing I noticed that one might tend to think would be less noticable(but isnt!) is streamlining. You DEFFINATLY notice a difference in effort to swim when all you have are straps and a tank VS pockets, a jacket yada yada.

At least try one. you might be amazed

I have a ScubaPro LadyHawk and I love it. I spent the last year using a jacket style and I am now very much impressed with having more mobility from the back inflation. The problem I have had with BC's is that I am top heavy. When you add all the inflation under the arms and etc I couldnt reach around myself!!! This is the main reason I chose the LadyHawk.

i started with my mares journey, a back inflate. it fits well, and my only complaint is that there aren't enough pockets or d-rings (just one small pocket big enough for a car key). i'm sure if i had started with a jacket, there would have been an adjustment period, but my instructor was using a bp/w and could show me little tips for floating on the surface or rolling a bit to move the air before dumping. so yeah, a little work to get comfortable with a different style, but not hard to do. but i'm thinking of the dark side and would also suggest you look at a bp/w. if/when i get another, that'll be what i go for.

MerMare:
I am looking for any advice I can get on purchasing a women's BC. I tried on a Seaquest Diva this weekend with a tank, and it actually couldn't have fit worse. My shoulders and back are sore and a bit bruised from wearing it for about five minutes. This is super disappointing because I've read such positive comments about the Diva here on scubaboard and thought this would be a perfect match for me. I've only been certified for a couple of months, and am anxious to find the perfect BC so that I can begin my diving experience in earnest. I'm about 5'8" and have a small frame, so it's been difficult to find a BC small enough, but tall enough! The extra small Diva fits great in the girth, but is way short. The Diva small is too big in the shoulders.

Any words of wisdom from some more experienced mermaids (or merdudes?) out there??

If you haven't made up your mind yet you mite look at the tusa selene. It comes in 3 or 4 sizes, and has lots of ajustments. My wife has been diving hers for a couple months now and seems to love it. She tried on a few of those other female bc's and ended up with the tusa. Divers-Supply had a great deal on them not to long ago. My wife has about 20 dives on hers and loves it, And if that don't work you mite wont to look at a backplate and wing. Good luck.
willardj

MerMare:
Thanks, everyone, for your input! I learned to dive in a jacket style BC, but the more I read, the more it seems that most divers prefer the freedom and mobility of the back-inflates. Can anyone comment on how difficult it is for a beginner to use the back-inflate? Is it something that you become accustomed to fairly quickly? It also seems like some women prefer the support and surface stability of the jacket. Would love to hear some thoughts on that!

i have a scubapro ladyhawk and i find it much more comfortable than a jacket style bc. i'm about 5'2" and have a long torso and it fits very well. it didn't take long to get used to the back-inflate, but either way, once you figure out how to float on your back on the surface, it's great when waiting around to get back on the boat.

my only complaint is that the ladyhawk doesn't have real pockets. it only has a roll-up mesh pocket.

I know quite a few women divers who like the 'security' of how a jacket BC feels. Personally, I find the jacket style to be confining and bulky and much prefer a back inflate style. I have a Zeagle Zena (used to have a Diva) and LOVE it for the free feeling I have when I wear it. I haven't met anyone yet who dives a back inflate that doesn't prefer it to the jacket style, and I can definitely be included in that group! :)

Thanks so much to everyone for their input! I am thrilled with my new BC. I got a TUSA Selene! I had pretty much decided to go with the back inflate, but when I tried on the TUSA Selene, it fit like a dream and was so much more comfortable than anything else I had encountered. It inflates outward, so there isn't a squeeze problem at all. I tried it out in a pool and it was incredible how much easier it was to establish neutral buoyancy with equipment that fits right.

In about a week, my fiance and I are heading up to the Edmonds Underwater Park in Washington for my first OW dive since my certification dives at Octopus Hole. In June, we're going up to Canada for some Victoria BC and Campbell River dives. Now I'm really, really excited to go because I have a great BC that fits perfectly. I really appreciate all of the input. Scubaboard rocks!

I have the Diva and I am 5'10. Haven't had any problems with it as far as fit goes, but I can't get any air to dump out of the back or shoulder valve. That's my only complaint about it. Other than that, I'm happy and have done about 50 fives with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom