Women using a White's Essence? What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violamama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, just saw this deal with gloves/boots/hood for $1000 at diveritein and have asked a LDS if they'll match. I'd love to hear from any women (or man I s'pose) out there with a Fusion Essence.

Thanks!

Is it too new? Nobody has one they've used long enough to judge? :)

Ps. Alternately, if you know of a thread where people mention an Essence, I'd love a link there. Thanks!

http://scuba.about.com/od/equipment/fr/Dive-Gear-Review-Whites-Fusion-Drysuits.htm

I love, love, love my Essence! I've had it for about 9 months now. It's really streamlined, easy to get on and off, super flexible, and easy to dive. I am a hippy (ie, have big hips, not the "free love" type) and the Bullet I wore before this just didn't have quite enough room in that area and felt very restrictive. The Esence took care of that issue completely. The back zip is much more comfortable for me, with much less "bulk" in general, and actually fits my shoulders vs being way too big like the top of the Bullet. I know two other women with them who also love them, and a few more who are really jealous of my suit and seriously considering ditching what they have and buying one. Even without the extra free stuff, the price is so good it's totally worth it!
1149568_596732320349380_783175301_o.jpg
(Ignore the crazy hair, that's what happens when you whip off a hood for a picture :) )

If you have any specific questions about the suit I'd be happy to answer them.

That's a great picture, Kim! Looks like a good set-up. I like the way they seem to fit other people. I'm off to see if I can try one on at an LDS (the one with a pool for hands-on tryouts), and to find out more about whether they'll match the deal.

Thanks again!

IMAG0581.jpg

Liz and I are significantly different sizes/builds and the Essence fits us both perfectly. The other woman I know who has one is 5'8", thin and well endowed and it fits her perfectly as well. The sizing is flexible enough that even though one measurement (for me the hip one) is a little over the size that all my other measurements fit, it isn't a problem. I know I sound like a sales rep for Whites, but I know so many women who have drysuits that "kind of fit" but aren't really comfortable that I'm on a mission to talk as many women as possible into the one that is super comfy and easy to dive!

Hi again!
So I saw an Essence today in person at the Seattle Dive Expo and now I have some questions:

I didn't realize it doesn't come with the change-able seals. It's over $300 to add them to wrists and neck. That brings the price up near the USIA suit.

Doesn't that mean if you rip a seal, you are done with the day and have to spend $150 and wait a couple of weeks to have it repaired? Have you ever had a seal rip?

Full disclosure: the DUI suits really caught our eyes at the show and they fit so easy. They are about a million dollars more than the Essence, so it's not really a fair comparison... $2300 vs $1000. I should probably compare the Fusion Fit with the DUIs...

If I rip a white's fusion isn't it harder to repair because of the stretchy-ness?

Will a DUI really last longer?

Does everybody's head explode at the end of a 7 hour expo day?

Hi again!
So I saw an Essence today in person at the Seattle Dive Expo and now I have some questions:

I didn't realize it doesn't come with the change-able seals. It's over $300 to add them to wrists and neck. That brings the price up near the USIA suit.

Doesn't that mean if you rip a seal, you are done with the day and have to spend $150 and wait a couple of weeks to have it repaired? Have you ever had a seal rip?

Full disclosure: the DUI suits really caught our eyes at the show and they fit so easy. They are about a million dollars more than the Essence, so it's not really a fair comparison... $2300 vs $1000. I should probably compare the Fusion Fit with the DUIs...

If I rip a white's fusion isn't it harder to repair because of the stretchy-ness?

You can add the si tech wrist and neck seals for a few hundred, and then you can install whatever generic seal you what. Hell, if you buy the setup at diverightinscuba you can use the credit you get to offset some of that cost. This system is non proprietary and you can use any generic seals with it.

Honestly it's something I plan on adding, but I'm not going to rip out my current seals to do so. A lot of people last years on seals, so when it does fail it will ruin a day of diving, but that's not worth a few hundred dollar premium now (that or I'll do preventative maintenance and replace it after a few years).

Hi again!

Yes, if you rip a seal you are done diving for the day. Unless you try to duck tape it like I did the one time I ripped one, but in hindsight I wouldn't really recommend that when you rip the neck seal all the way down :wink: My suit was out of commission for a few days, but the length of time and cost will depend on where you get it fixed. My neck seal that ripped was most likely my own fault, I know a lot of people who dive frequently and have the same seals for a few years.

I'm not sure what you're saying about a Whites being harder to fix? If you rip the outer skin you could just sew it back together or leave it if it's not a big rip. A rip in the outer skin won't affect you staying dry. If you puncture the inner layer, the "bag", that can be patched. I don't know anyone who has punctured the inner layer, and I know a bunch of people with Whites suits who shore dive here and climb over rocks, etc quite a lot.

I know people who have all three of the suits you mention (USIA, DUI, and Whites) and people who both love and hate each brand. It really does come down to personal preference. I like the snugger fit of the Whites and how easy it is to dive. Other people hate that it feels constricting to them and prefer the DUIs. There's really no way to figure out what will be your favorite other than diving them all.

And yes, it is very easy to feel like your head is going to explode with the amount of information and decisions involved in buying a drysuit!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom