Woman Says TSA Forced Piercings Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole cellphone thing is a joke anyway. If you've ever flown in the "zoo" that follows AF-1 you'd realize that. There's a few hundred cell phones in constant use for the entire flight and the plane never gets lost.

The cell phones off rule has two reasons, one which is valid, and the other which the reason is no longer valid.

1. All electronic devices off when the door is closed, during pushback, taxi out, and climb through 10,000 feet

Why: After the door closes, the crew starts their passenger briefing which everyone is supposed to be listening to. Even if you do not want to listen, talking on your phone distracts others and keeps them from being able to hear the brief.

Once the airplane is pushed back away from the gate, the possibility of an evacuation exists. People talking on cell phones are oblivious to evacuation call outs. There are a few more important announcements made at 10000 feet, and then after that, you are told you can dig out the electronics.

2. Interference with airplane navigation

Why: This was a valid reason back when cell phones put out up to 10 watts of power and airplanes where using older antiquated instruments. Now, cell phones can be 75% weeker, and they use digital vs analog signals, so the phone is not going to disrupt navigation.

However, digital phones do disrupt the cockpit in another way. During initial climb, and especially during approach to landing, when a cellphone in in operation, it causes a clicking sound in the intercomm system. It is a kind of digital static that was very noticeable in all the aircraft I have piloted on commercial flights. Will it make the aircraft crash? Absolutely not, but the effect is a noticeable distraction.

Now, you are going to say, "But they let us use the phones on the ground during taxi in!"

This is fairly new over the last several years and is airline specific, although most do make that announcement now. I guess the airlines have decided that the important safety demos had been completed, you now know how to evacuate because you paid attention to the earlier briefs, and they are giving you a chance to make pickup arrangements.

BTW, flight attendants are only.... ah, never mind. :D

The whole cellphone thing is a joke anyway. If you've ever flown in the "zoo" that follows AF-1 you'd realize that. There's a few hundred cell phones in constant use for the entire flight and the plane never gets lost.

Cell phones work just fine from a plane as everyone knows from some of the cell phone calls made during 9-11. The problem isn't really with the aircraft, rather with the cell phone system. Do you know how many cell towers a single cell phone call would light up from 35,000 feet. Multiply that by the # of people on an average flight times the # of flights in the air at any time and even if only 10% of the passengers were using their phone at any one time the cell phone system would melt down from overload.

AFAIK, it's mostly used for flights from the Caribbean and South America. Too many smugglers trying to conceal the stuff inside their body.

That may be true in the US, but no where else. Most of these new style machines are being tested in various airports around the globe. Over time, you will see a lot of strange security devices pop up. Some will survive, most will not.

I dont really care what the reasons are,I'm just very pleased that people can't use cell phones during flights. If I had my way they would be banned in all public places,same as smoking.

Cell phones work just fine from a plane as everyone knows from some of the cell phone calls made during 9-11. The problem isn't really with the aircraft, rather with the cell phone system. Do you know how many cell towers a single cell phone call would light up from 35,000 feet. Multiply that by the # of people on an average flight times the # of flights in the air at any time and even if only 10% of the passengers were using their phone at any one time the cell phone system would melt down from overload.

Modern digital cell phones work up to around 5000 feet and then are hit and miss above that. They are too weak to transmit any further, and the transponders on the ground are directed horiz and down on coverage. The 9/11 planes were flying low for visual navigation by the hijackers. Most of the calls came in over onboard seat-back phones.

You show me a cell phone that works at 35000 feet and I'll buy one. That is almost 6 miles range.

The traveling lady made one mistake.......USE BIGGER RINGS, this one is a no brainer 'Sir, you may board now'......
nose_20ring_small.jpg

If nipple rings are going to be considered a dangerous weapon, It only seems logical that all wearers of nipple rings should have to go through safety training classes. Only be able to purchase one pair of nipple rings per month. Must attain a purchase permit and wait 6 days before ownership of new nipple rings can be transfered. Not be able to own or wear any nipple ring that weighs more than 2 grams or is larger than 3/4" in size. All nipple rings must be locked in an approved nipple safe when not being worn. Furthermore, all nipple rings must be registered on a federal database.
I think it is important for you to know that I do support the wearing of nipple rimgs, but, only with some sensible regulations and restrictions for the safety of others.

Avoiding 9-11 cell phone call discussions please, wow what a hijack that could be - that had some truth during analog phone days I think not that long ago, but not true today with CDMA phones and computer controlled switches. The phone call goes thru one tower only until handed off to another tower - if you don't get the infamous "bad hand off."
I dont really care what the reasons are,I'm just very pleased that people can't use cell phones during flights. If I had my way they would be banned in all public places,same as smoking.
"But that's true. Even when I sold them, I hated them in public places. In a confined and cramped aircraft, OMG - air rage material.
Modern digital cell phones work up to around 5000 feet and then are hit and miss above that. They are too weak to transmit any further, and the transponders on the ground are directed horiz and down on coverage. The 9/11 planes were flying low for visual navigation by the hijackers. Most of the calls came in over onboard seat-back phones.

You show me a cell phone that works at 35000 feet and I'll buy one. That is almost 6 miles range.
Yeah, I left my CDMA on one from NC to DFW. Drained the battery searching, but that was a few years ago. They've improved the models some, even tho the emphasis on cell phone models has not be reception.

But to the question: Why was she not given the option of pat down or strip search...?

I really suspect unprofessional good ol' boys playing here, but from here appearances - I no long suspect them of targeting adult dancers....
[c]
nipple-ring-cp-4581971.jpg

Mandi Hamlin, who claims an airport security agent forced her to remove her nipple ring with pliers before boarding an airplane, demonstrates at a Los Angeles news conference what she did.
[/c]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom