Woman Says TSA Forced Piercings Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a visitor to the United States last year, I went expecting to show respect for their rules and receive fair treatment in return.

My experience was less than satisfactory, my first security check after passing through customs, I did what was normal for Australia as I saw no signs to the contrary... leave my laptop in my bag.

As a result I had some TSA person hold up my backpack shouting "WHOSE BAG IS THIS!!" Then quite publicly usher me over to a second screening area without offering me an explanation. They swabbed everything for drugs or explosives or both, totally unpacked my bag and only THEN did they explain I have to remove my laptop from my bag and the battery from the laptop. When I tried to say there wasn't any sign they pointed at a sign which said nothing of the sort. I didn't argue further. (I later found out its usually made as an announcement over the PA every 5 mins but as I wasn't in the terminal for more than about 30 seconds after leaving customs I didn't hear it)

The main issue with this is that it seems I must have somehow been flagged in their systems or something because for no reason whatsoever (I followed all the rules) more than half my flights I was subjected to additional screening and questions.

As a result, I think I'll be avoiding the USA as a holiday destination in future. Good work TSA!

Few airports have security sufficient to catch a smart and determined person.

Which airprot Scream?
As a result, I think I'll be avoiding the USA as a holiday destination in future. Good work TSA!
I've seen stories done along those lines, that many international visitors and declining the US now...

Pat down of the nips? I'd like to see that happen. Why do men think that a woman wants to get her chest touched by a female TSA agent?

People, our security procedures are a joke. You do not want to know the truth, and you are wasting your time debating it here on SB. End of story.

mempilot,

You are right. I don't want to know nor do I want "other's" to know. TSA isn't on my list of favorite government organizations by a long shot. I just would like everyone to do whatever they can to get through the line as quickly as they can and not slow down my progress.

And I'm glad to see that you still can find a sense of humor when discussing this after all the times you have had to run the TSA gauntlet.

Which airprot Scream?
San Francisco. I was either terribly unlucky to be screened so many times (about 60% of the time I think), they are now profiling short slightly-overweight males in their late 20's, or they have the ability to flag someone across multiple airports.

I saw no signs to the contrary... leave my laptop in my bag.

I won't coddle you on this one. There are big pictures of this by each security checkpoint. They are constantly making verbal announcements about taking them out. Once it goes through inside a bag, it will go on for further scrutiny.

Them being rude about it is another thing.

In 2007 alone, I traveled on 5 continents and 43 countries. Don't think the US has cornered this treatment. The US actually has very friendly security agents COMPARED to many countries. If you want a list of places to avoid based on your experience in the US, let me know.

Don't forget, the US is where the 9/11 aircraft got hijacked, so the attitude can be a bit personal. However, an unfriendly agent can make for a bad experience, and in your case did. Don't let it sway you from future travel here.

I don't mind rude if they are competent. Polite and incompetent, well, most of us would just look the other way be happy to get through without hassle. Incompentence and rude, well, there isn't much use there at all.

The system is broken, but the people shouldn't be. Moral is low and with that comes intolerance. No justification for it. Just human nature.

San Francisco. I was either terribly unlucky to be screened so many times (about 60% of the time I think), they are now profiling short slightly-overweight males in their late 20's, or they have the ability to flag someone across multiple airports.

You could look like Osama himself. The US doesn't profile. :D

You get flagged for a number of reasons. I get flagged on almost 100% of my flights that I travel as a passenger. The reasons are numerous, and I have a Security Clearence.

Oh they could flag your reservation if they chose to.
I won't coddle you on this one. There are big pictures of this by each security checkpoint. They are constantly making verbal announcements about taking them out. Once it goes through inside a bag, it will go on for further scrutiny.
Yes, that is true, but - when you're traveling away from home, more so internationally, it is difficult to watch for all instructions, while also being careful of other problems.

The main issue with this is that it seems I must have somehow been flagged in their systems or something because for no reason whatsoever (I followed all the rules) more than half my flights I was subjected to additional screening and questions.
Sorry you had such an experience. Sounds like a normal experience for me, though. I almost always get pulled aside for bomb screening etc so I'm used to it now. Hard to believe you didn't hear the PA announcement - that thing is so freakin' irritating, along with the TSA guys chanting it over and over while you're in line - that I dream about it for days after a flight LOL

my first security check after passing through customs, I did what was normal for Australia as I saw no signs to the contrary... leave my laptop in my bag.
I have had to take my laptop out in all the airports in Australia I travel through - Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Bribane - in the past 12 months. I'm surprised you haven't had to, but it's another great example of no one really seems to have a clue what the "rule" is.

I hope you are engaging in some hyperbole. I certainly wouldn't avoid a whole country with such neat stuff to do & see and so many neat people to meet coz airport security was a bit of hassle :wink: But then again, I fly Qantas a lot so am used to terrible and rude service when I travel :D

I'm a sports reporter, and I have to take my laptop out of my bag at just about every stadium and arena I work at. I've never had to take the battery out, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom