Woman dead - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course in my college days we never expected to live past 30 (that was old). However at 67, I've seen plenty of twenty somethings who can barely walk up the dive park stairs with an Al 80 on their backs. Too much video gaming.

My Mom is 89, and she is the youngest of her peers in terms of activity. I don't think of her as elderly. I certainly didn't think if any of my fellow divers in the club as elderly. Thank Don for posting that in passings. I was merely adding to information about what an elderly person might be doing with their life.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Mermaid0Sea,

A bunch of us don't consider the victim elderly. That's the bottom line.

You say compassion. We're say, "You go, girl!"

The woman evidently lived life to the fullest and didn't let anything slow her down. God Bless her, and I hope to be like her! :thumb:

No i get it. This evident and death... No compassion here that's only passinfs. I get it. Just this is real close to home. I guess no exceptions. Sorry to have troubled the thread.

Elderly is an unfortunate word choice given its connotations, but (I looked it up) apparently its legal definition (USA) is someone over the age of 60. I'm close enough that I don't like it either.
On the other hand, I can remember a cousin at age 8 talking about a disliked teacher as "Old Lady Wiggins": age 27 years ;-)

All this aside, the story sounds like we all missed out on knowing an exceptionally neat & interesting lady.
My condolences to the family.

In my original post, I faulted the reporter for using the word "elderly." I would like to apologize to the reporter, who did not use that term.

In traditional journalism, reporters are frequently angry when they see their stories in print because the headline does not accurately convey the the main idea of the story. Reporters do not write headlines--a headline writer does. That writer is usually working in a hurry at the last minute, usually only reading the first paragraphs of stories while choosing words that convey that idea while fitting perfectly in the space available for it in the publication.

This is not quite the same thing, because in this online version of the story, no such care has been taken by whoever wrote the headline. that is common in online publications because the published version may look different on different computers. But even there, the headline writer did not use the word "elderly" and cannot be blamed.

The word only appears in the URL of the story. That means it was inserted by the technician whose job it was to put together the web site on which it appears. The word will not appear on the web site itself, just as it does not appear in this link to the story.

The other thing that stinks is... Someone i knew, with hey name published and did not die as a result of diving... These kind of threads ... All kind of makes me want to realize the anonymity if the computer and all the ick that goes with it. I hope this isn't how people would remrmber me as a look up in a dictionary or a news article in a hobby that i loved. Bigger picture.

Regarding "elderly," an acquaintance in his 70s had a bad fall while doing some off-road trail running. He had run marathons for decades, and even though he was no longer competing he could run circles around my 50 year-old self. Since the paramedics and ambulance were needed, the newspaper got wind of it, and sure enough, the headline referred to the "elderly man." What a laugh.

I've always been an active hiker, and there are still some very large forests in NJ, lovely, deep and dense. I know these woods intimately, and with my old army compass, or just reading the sun, I've never gotten seriously lost. Nevertheless, I hesitate before every extreme hike, knowing that were anything to happen to me it would be reported as "Elderly man disappears in forest". The thought is unbearably appalling.

Any newsworthy accident or mishap, while diving, driving, or just taking a walk, would most probably use the same wording, as if the term "elderly" explains everything.

Back
Top Bottom