Woman dead - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is that the term 'elderly' strongly implies weakness and fragility. It is practically synonymous with decrepitude. While this is certainly an accurate assessment for many people, it is not universally true, and especially not applicable among those people in their 60s and 70s who effortlessly engage in the same physical activities they enjoyed when much younger.

There is a certain self-selection process operating in this connection. Most of the people I dived with decades ago are no longer physically able to engage in these kinds of activities, nor do they seem to miss doing so. Their bodies have told them to find other things to do.

These tradionally elderly people become more of an age category majority with each passing year, until those of us who are past 70 and still diving and exploring the bits of wilderness remaining on the planet begin to feel isolated and out of place. There is a great deal of resentment associated with this phenomenon because in our perception we have not changed. The world certainly has changed dramatically, though, and there is a great sense of loss as the world in which we were young vanishes and is replaced by something strange and foreign. Something, in truth, quite ugly at times.

Compounding this sense of loss is the arrogant assumption of the young that the world, once so obviously ours, now belongs to them. They are correct, of course. It does.

Every now and then I'll read, in a novel or an article, a description of someone characterized as elderly. More often than not they are younger than I am. Nothing will change this reality. I'm grateful for the physical ability and mental lucidity I still have. I treasure it because I know it will not last. The shelf-life sell-by dates are startlingly close at hand.

Though the word sounds inappropriate, and though I still feel young, even very young at times, I am technically elderly. There are worse things. Stupidity, for one.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2014 at 12:02 PM ----------

Now you defining the beginning of presbyopia---& as an eye doc, I LOVE IT.....:)
Interestingly enough, at 72 I have close to 20/20 vision uncorrected, and can still read fine print almost as well as I could when i was in my 20s. I don't have any trouble reading gauges while diving or instruction manuals with tiny letters (if I close one eye) when assembling something maddening complex. The syntax in these instructions is another issue.

I do have moderately reduced night vision, but nothing extreme. Much of this is due to naturally occurring monovision, and the rest is luck, I guess. In any case, I don't need glasses for any reason. I see an ophthalmologist every year, much younger than me and with much worse vision. He is wryly amused.

Last edited:
I see what to discuss when very little info was given. Just to discuss. I see. It was s shock to see a familiar name. I guts you're right. I care not about semantics carry on discussing semantics.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

According to the first online source I blundered into, the female life expectancy in the United States is 82. She was within 18% of that number, so you have to figure the word "elderly" would be technically appropriate at some point. The problem is not the denotation (technical definition) of the word. The problem is the connotation (as Agilis suggests).

The connotation of a word is essentially the emotional baggage that it carries. Words with similar denotations can have widely different connotations. Would a thin person rather be described as scrawny, skinny, slender, or svelte? The differences actually color our thinking. Research related to court testimony shows that the words chosen by an attorney asking a question can change witness testimony. For example, after viewing a film of the same accident, test subjects gave higher estimates when asked the judge the speed at which a car was going when it smashed into the other car than when they were asked about the speed when the car bumped into the other one.

I think it can affect the attitudes we have of ourselves. We seniors who are active divers rightfully resent being called elderly, and I think that the moment we start accepting that term for ourselves is the moment we start thinking about giving up diving.

A well trained writer should know about that. It is taught in high school English classes. If a reporter uses the word elderly in describing someone, that writer should know the word conveys the connotation of frailty, creating the image of someone who should be sitting quietly in a chair waiting to die rather than hunting for lobster in the ocean. It could reveal the writer's impression that this person was too old for this activity, which he or she tried to convey through the use of the term rather than a journalistically unacceptable editorial statement.

It could also be meaningless.

Her obituary included "that this was not a scuba accident. It was later determined to be a heart condition," whatever that may mean exactly.

I see what to discuss when very little info was given. Just to discuss. I see. It was s shock to see a familiar name. I guts you're right. I care not about semantics carry on discussing semantics.
Did you know the lady? Her obituary is particularly interesting so I posted it in Passings. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pa...n-started-first-female-dive-club-florida.html

I would have loved to dive with her, if I could keep up.

What is the life expectancy in USA? About 78 in 2012!
Elderly: getting old; rather old.
So how would you describe someone who is 68?

Back
Top Bottom