Wobbly/light headed sensation after a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
I became wobbly/light headed after a boat dive. It felt as though I had too much to drink and couldn't stay balanced while walking. The ground felt like it was moving beneath my feet. It has been six hours after my dive and I still feel slightly light headed.

Background of today's dive:

2 dives total.
Average depth for both dives: 30 feet or less.
Max depth for both dives: 45 feet.
Dive time: 50 minute average for both dives.
Temperature: 55 to 59 degree - I was not cold.
1st dive: no problem, everything a ok, felt normal - used my own tank -air filled at lds.
2nd dive: used a tank supplied by the boat - air.
All ascends were normal and controlled.
Health history: no medical conditions and excellent shape.

I have dove these water over 100 times and never had this problem. This was definitely not sea legs, and I don't get sea sick. Nonetheless, I felt slightly nauseated after my second dive. I could reasonably rule out DCS, so what are some other causes?

How's your hearing? Damage to the inner ear can do this, usually caused by problems with equalizing. If this is persistent through tomorrow, it is my understanding that fairly urgent consultation with an ENT doc would be indicated.

Edited to add: You don't indicate any information on your age in your profile. If you are older, more dangerous things could be implicated in feeling lightheaded and unstable on your feet (eg. stroke) and an ER visit would be in order.

How's your hearing? Damage to the inner ear can do this, usually caused by problems with equalizing. If this is persistent through tomorrow, it is my understanding that fairly urgent consultation with an ENT doc would be indicated.

Edited to add: You don't indicate any information on your age in your profile. If you are older, more dangerous things could be implicated in feeling lightheaded and unstable on your feet (eg. stroke) and an ER visit would be in order.

What she said.

Also, even middle ear barotrauma (more common than inner ear injury) can cause balance issues...

M

Thank you, TSandM.
No, it's not my middle ear. My hearing is fine, my balance is good today, and I had no problem equalizing yesterday. I doubt it was a stroke, at least I hope not. Prehaps it's one of those inexplicable things. I hope it doesn't happen again.

I had this happen to me two years ago at Vortex. I had it for a few hours and was better the next day. The first dive of the following year I did the same and never had any more problems.

Light-headedness and nausea are often associated with stimulation of the vagus nerve. Its track is fairly complex thoughout the head, neck, chest, and abdomen so that finding a source of irritation can take some sleuthing. But a few quick thoughts:

Resistance to sea-sickness is not constant. On the odd occasion, it will strike even those who historically haven't had a problem.

Electrolyte disturbance from exertion can increase nerve irritability; usually heavy exertion or large losses from vomiting or diarrhea or unusual digestive demands by foods/fluids. Sporatic effects may persist for a time even after gross blood chemistry indicates normalization.

Irritation can result from stretch/compression cycles from abdominal or diaphragmic muscle activity or pressure changes in gas-containing organs (esp. lungs, stomach).

Increasing frequency, duration, or severity should be investigated further.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom