Wobbling STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krabby

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my bp/w put together and no matter how tight I make the STA it still wobbles. I'm going to assume it is from the grommets on the wing and the additional grommet on the harness. How do I reduce/eliminate that?

How have you retained your STA to your wing?

upload_2020-7-17_7-19-56.png

It's a Dive Rite and came with carriage bolts and derlin nuts.

That's the one!

I took off the little white plastic bolt retainers and that seems to have helped quite a bit.

I just put the whole thing together tank and all and that was the problem. It is rock solid now without those little white plastic bolt retainers in place.

Take the STA off that will fix the tank wobble.

We have BP with slots for the bands and have never needed a STA. Works just fine.

Take the STA off that will fix the tank wobble.

We have BP with slots for the bands and have never needed a STA. Works just fine.

I would have just gone without it, but the DRIS Mirage wing I have doesn't have slots, so it requires an STA. I thought about cutting slots in it, but I think I'll try the STA for now since it seems stable at this point.

Another reason why people use an STA is when it comes time to use them on twin tanks, you just have to take the STA off and the systems goes right on to the Twin tank assembly. It eliminated the tedious job of having to re-thread your tanks bands everytime you dive with a single tank. It also adds 2# to your system which allows me to dive with a single cylinder (80 AL) & SS BP without a weight belt with a 3mm suit in Saltwater. I dive on a "Balanced Rig". Here is an explanation of what a "Balanced Rig" by Andy Davis. Scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/scuba-buoyancy-masterclass-8of9-the-balanced-rig/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom