With whom would you spend your day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
This past week my class had a discussion about heroes. A question was asked, "If you could spend a day with someone from the past or present, who would it be?" A thought provoking question, but considering my draw to the sea, I said Jacques Cousteau. Who are some other heroes in our realm of interest?

President of NABS (National Assoc. of Black Scubadivers) & NO you don't have to be black to be a member.

He has certified over 3000 underpriviledge kids for absolutely nothing. He has diven, dived, dove, doved, doven or whatever (Where's Joewr when I need him) in every major and most minor bodies of water on this planet. (Thanks to KN for pointing out such a modern day legend to me)

ID

My Dad!

Later, Hawk.

There is no bigger hero than my dad...

Happy Thanksgiving all..

So many of the ancients...
And in modern times my father holds first place.
But secondly, for the twentieth century, I think C. Wade McClusky.
Rick

LDCR. C. Wade McClusky, commander of Fighting Six, battle of Midway?????

That sea battle is arguably the most important battle of the 20th Century. It was the turning point in the Pacific War. It demonstrated beyond anyone's doubt the value of carriers if there were any doubters after Pearl Harbor. It demonstrated the indispensibility of the code breakers in modern warfare. The dificiencies in the American fliers' ability to form up and make the completely coordinated attack planned was noted and corrected. With the possible exception of some glitches at Guadocanal and Halsey's error at Leyte, the US Navy conducted a near perfect effort in the Pacific for the rest of the war. After Midway we became the most formidable navy in the world and have never relinquished that role since!

Some may say the D-Day was the most important battle of the 20th Century, but I think D-Day might never had happened were it not for Midway.

While I this is off the topic, I think it would be interesting to have Admirals Spruance and Nagumo in the same room at the same time to talk about Midway! Heck, let's invite McCluskey along, too, for an eye witness account!

I have so many "heroes" that it is hard to select. Maybe it would be fun to have George Washington around for a day and to hear what he thinks about the country he helped to create?

SF

Yes, Midway's McClusky. Commander of Airwing Six, he was flying a dive bomber (SBD).
Rick

I like this kind of question but only when it's worded differently.

"If you could spend one day with someone, living or dead, who would it be?"

The answer should be "the living one, of course. Do you think I'm stupid?!" :D

Seriously though, the thread did ask 'in our realm', so I'll have to go with either of the two Jacques - Cousteau or Mayol. Cousteau for my love of scuba and Mayol for Freediving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom