Wishlist: Active LCD back on a DSLR !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFLDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear DSLR Camera Manufacturers,

When oh when will you spoil us UW photographers, particularly me,
with an active LCD camera back that allows me to frame up a shot
Not by pressing a case against my dive mask, but allowing me the
freedom of shooting with a glance at the LCD display on the camera back ...

much like I do with my Oly C5050Z nowadays.

It is -the- primary hold-up on me splurging into DSLR territory.

Yes, I've seen the arguments on quickie shootists with LCDs
vs. meticulous shots via DSLR.
I tend to be meticulous with my LCD back display,
and it's lovely with my aging eyes.

Yes, I've heard of the breach into this territory by Panasonic (I believe?)

Yes, I've got one of the old (what was then a whopping) 1.5Mp Sony D770
Cybershot Pro, and it does just this wish! and yes, I've heard arguments
that it isn't a true DSLR. I love that camera, but alas do not use it UW.

Oh to be free of case-to-mask framing.

*sigh*

Well, it's NOT all that hard to shoot, and then review the image in the LCD. Focusing on a tiny LCD is not all that easy or accurate. It's actually one of my complaints about the PnS I use UW.

But here is a camera that does exactly what you would like:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022609panasonicdmcl1.asp#specs

Good luck getting a housing for it, and I'm not sure I'd jump on the Panasonic DSLR bandwagon just yet as the camera is not yet available, and the DSLR market is a tough nut to crack. I'd give Panasonic about a 50% or worst chance of surviving in the DSLR market over time. It's kinda a cool design however, with retro looks, a shutter speed selection dial on top, and an aperture ring on the lens.

Impossible to say how well this camera will perform, or what the cost will be, but it could be expensive which would further give doubts to if panisonic can break into the market. The sensor is rather unique, but also at 7.5 mpix may not be enough to lure buyers who have 8-10-12-16 mpix camera's offered by much more time tested manufactures like Canon, Nikon, and Fuji.

As you are NOT shooting a DSLR UW, are you not already FREE from case-to-mask framing? :D

I think a lot of the issue is just getting used to using the viewfinder. When I first started out in digital, the only affordable cameras were the point and shoot variety with the LCD screens on the back. Coming from years of shooting SLRs, it took a bit of adjustment to get used to using the LCD screen. And then going to UW with digital, it wasn't too bad. And yes, one of my big concerns going to dSLR underwater was the use of the viewfinder underwater, but really in the end, it was not a big issue. In fact, at this time (I think I may have mentioned this in a similar thread) I do prefer to use the viewfinder and do not miss the LCD screen at all (though I do use it to review, of course). Even when using a point and shoot camera with LCD screen, I don't even bother and use the viewfinder.

http://dpreview.com/articles/olympuse330/

OLYMPUS is releasing one right now!!!!!

OLY E-330. The world's first live view LCD DSLR. Has a 2-2.5 inch live view LCD on the back.

If I were in the DSLR market today I'd be getting this camera. Then again, with the way things seem to go, in 5-6 months they might have an even nicer and less expensive model. This could be THE underwater camera for a while 'til everyone catches up. Give it a year to year and a half, and unless Olympus has some strong proprietary patents, everyone will follow suit. Olympus plans on a housing for it and housing manufacturers are very likely to support it if it sells well.

Later,

RonFrank:
Good luck getting a housing for it, and I'm not sure I'd jump on the Panasonic DSLR bandwagon just yet as the camera is not yet available, and the DSLR market is a tough nut to crack. I'd give Panasonic about a 50% or worst chance of surviving in the DSLR market over time. It's kinda a cool design however, with retro looks, a shutter speed selection dial on top, and an aperture ring on the lens.

More info on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Hands-on
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Hands-on
and
Imaging-resource Video

The Panasonic DSLR uses the four-thirds mount (Olympus) so it's compatible with all the Olympus lenses plus the ones by Sigma, not to mention the Leica with OIS. I think the design is kind of cool too and I certainly miss the aperture ring on the DSLR lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom