LCD screen visibility underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

Quick question on LCD screen visibility underwater. I’ve been diving for about 6 months and now taking my first steps into underwater photography. I’m a long time DSLR user but have decided to start down the underwater path using a recently purchased Sony RX100V. I’ve been looking at housings and would like to pull the trigger on the Isotta, but one question is holding me back. I use reading glasses with a +1.75 correction for both eyes. I bought my first mask with built-in bifocals but I’ve never been too impressed with it and wonder how I will go looking at an LCD screen for photography underwater.

So my question is, given the natural magnification of objects underwater, plus the limited benefit of my bifocals, am I still likely to need an additional LCD magnifier such as this one from AOI (AOI UMG-01 LCD Magnifier for Olympus Compact Camera Housings)?

A decision on this will have a bearing on which housing I go for because the Isotta doesn’t have an option to accommodate something like the AOI above, whereas I believe the Fantasea or Nauticam does (Nauticam ruled out because I’d like something with a double o-ring). I’m also looking at a new mask purchase, something like the Atomic Subframe to hopefully improve the reading glass problem.

Unfortunately not going to have a chance to test anything ahead of my next trip to Tubbataha at the end of March.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

I would not rule out Nauticam just because it doesn’t have a double o-ring. It’s an excellent housing and I have one for the RX100IV. The water alarm inside along with the vacuum system added to it makes it a very solid system. As with any other o-rings, be diligent and conscious about how you handle and use the o-ring. :) It’s a great housing and not worth dismissing just because it’s a single ring.

What a small world! I am also going to Tubbataha but in April. :)

I would not rule out Nauticam just because it doesn’t have a double o-ring. It’s an excellent housing and I have one for the RX100IV. The water alarm inside along with the vacuum system added to it makes it a very solid system. As with any other o-rings, be diligent and conscious about how you handle and use the o-ring. :) It’s a great housing and not worth dismissing just because it’s a single ring.

What a small world! I am also going to Tubbataha but in April. :)

Double checked my dates and I’m actually there on the 5th April! Will give the Nauticam another look although my original question on this housing still aplies. Thx for the response.

I think that if budget is not a concern (and there are lots of people for whom it isn't) the Nauticam would be most folks first choice. On most of our recent trips (and we travel a lot) Nauticam was by far the most represented. In any case, with the Isotta, you can add the 45 or straight viewfinder from Inon. I can not use the screen for focusing (I don't like the hold up the baby with the stinky diaper pose) but have no issues with seeing through the Inon viewfinder.
As for masks, I would highly recommend getting a custom prescription mask, it will make all the difference.

Cheers
Bill

Double o-rings really does not do much for you, you could quite easily have a single hair lying across two o-rings. The Nauticam vacuum system does two things, first it confirms there is no leak path, second it pre loads the o-rings. O-rings are dynamic seals and require water of air pressure to push them against the housing to provide a seal, the deeper you go the better the seal. This gives an extra assurance against leaks at the surface or in the rinse tank.

Seems to me that something with a dioptric adjustment to view the screen combined with a plain mask would be best option, as long as you can read your gauges and if you had any sort of corrective lenses you would want them at the bottom half of your mask so they don't interfere forward distant vision, but using them to look at a screen may not work so well given the location in the mask. You could try the stick on lenses in the bottom of one or both sides of your mask perhaps. They will work for looking down at your gauges and computer but as I said not so good for screen viewing.

Thanks for the feedback guys, pulled the trigger on the Nauticam Pro package with the LCD magnifier. Was really on the fence re the single o-ring but after your comments decided to go for it. Really like the idea of the vacuum seal for peace of mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom