Wish list for cobalt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrylowe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ron, how much room do you have inside the cobalt case to add more hardware features?

I think you have done a great job with the cobalt design. It is extremely easy to use and navigate. I started wondering "If cost were not an issue, what other features would be nice (if not just a tad nerdy) on this computer?"

I would like to see an embedded GPS functionality that automatically attaches coordinates to the dive log. Some of the online log sites link to google maps and it would be nice to have these coordinates without having to bring a standalone GPS or iPhone to get them. (I'm not asking for underwater GPS.....yet)

How about being able to enter the dive site name into the log on the dive computer after the dive has been completed (maybe during the dive interval)? I am thinking about how I get the sites all messed up when I am on my dive vacations in Cozumel. I mean, who can remember to bring pencil and paper?

Other wishes:

Redundant pressure sensor in the case -- no redundancy for the AI, but at least a back up for depth.

A non-AI version that has a case shaped for wrist mount and integrated bungie mounts. Use firmware to flip the screen to horizontal orientation and boom, wrist mounted Cobalt now, not in a couple years.

I want to encourage this sort of wish listing as much as possible. Many changes to the Cobalt firmware have come from user suggestions, and it helps to know what users would really like to see. The capabilities of components are always improving, so there is more and more that we can do in a limited space. GPS chips are indeed small now, and being able to enter dive sites directly into the Cobalt log is something we have thought about. It would be nice to have an army of developers to work on all the ideas- unfortunately developing embedded devices is a pretty time consuming task.

I have seen someone strap the Cobalt to their wrist- or actually inside forearm, in which position the portrait screen orientation works fine. Probably not for everyone... But it is still AI. :D

Ron

A louder audio feature with a volumn control for the divers that are not hard of hearing like me.

A plastic/hard structure to set the compass. My cardboard one was destroyed during shipping before I even got the Cobalt to begin with. Currently I use a Peligan Box that I store mine in to set the compass.

Still patiently waiting for the wrist version to come out :)

The ability to turn off the alarm for dipping below the mandatory 300psi or greater "Safety Reserve." If I can turn off the Low Gas Alerts and the Max Depth Alarm, why not this one? If I want my computer to make noise, I'll set it to do so; otherwise, it shouldn't.

An option to display PO2 for air would be good, too, for those who go deep enough to start worrying about oxy tox on air.

I want to leave a note thanking you for all these ideas and suggestions.

A couple are things we have looked at and are considering. A plastic frame to allow setting the compass up is something I think would be very useful. I've adapted a plastic literature holder- BP800C, $1.75 from these guys: Plastic Brochure Holders and Acrylic Literature Displays - Small : TAP Plastics - by stuffing the sides with a bit of foam and cutting out a bit to access the keypad. It works well and is small and light enough to travel with. We continue to look at options for graphic display of pressure, but haven't come up with a design that both fits and doesn't clutter the interface. An option to display PO2 in air could be a preference- it isn't there for air diving so as to simplify the interface for typical recreational divers. We have considered having an "advanced" display mode that shows more info.

Some things are considered alarms, rather than alerts- ascent rate, for instance, and PO2, and the audio can't at present be turned off for those items. I can see where the low air might not always fit in that category. I wonder what people think- should tuning off the low air alarm (sub 200 psi) be an option?

nelsonrl, do you mean a continuous buzzer during the stop? It already beeps when the stop is complete- though the audio is not as loud as we would like.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and for helping us to evolve the Cobalt.

Ron

Some things are considered alarms, rather than alerts- ascent rate, for instance, and PO2, and the audio can't at present be turned off for those items. I can see where the low air might not always fit in that category.

Some of us would like to determine on our own what constitutes an alarm, or at least what type of notification accompanies an alarm.

Back
Top Bottom