Wisdom on boat dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In So Cal, DM's stay on the boat. You dive the site with just you and your buddy.

WHY is that, anyway?
Because in 10 to 20 foot vis in a kelp forest, no DM could track 2 teams let alone 10 teams while in the water. From the boat you can track the bubbles, so you know where the breathing teams are (with the exception of the closed circuit rebreather divers).

The rule in the Monterey area is: "if you don't surface, we can't save you." However, when the crew sees a problem at the surface, the boat crew can react very quickly.

9) Do not stall in the entry or on the ladder- if you have a problem let the crew know and move out of the way, there are others trying to get in the water or on the boat.
Unless of course, you want me to throw up on your back.

That's a good way to break a rib. Grab the bottom rung and stiff arm it. As long as you keep your arm stiff, you will not it anything. Grabbing the highest rung (or any rung except the bottom one) will cause you to smash into the ladder as waves move the boat up and down. While stiff arming the bottom rung, remove your fins one at a time and slip them over your wrist.

That's a really bad idea.

i second that... i did that then when the wave came it got my leg through the rung and bent me backwards wasnt fun at all.. persoaly weights off hand them up hand fins and then hand the bcd as it keeps you floating you dont really need fins unless you float away.. but im the type of person that can get my self and my gear out of the water as i do heavy lifting all the time for work...

so its goes

weights bcd fins then climb out.. (make sure bcd is inflated...) and if you useing dry suit unhook the hose as well

and for grabing the ladder make sure you get it at the waves lowest point.. that way you simply float up and down if you hold the bottom one.. you might be pulled under deepending on the ladders length... (and how big you are) i just hold 1 rung while i use my other hand to unhook my gear.. and i keep my self at arms length away from the latter and sideways towards it.. (im more concerned about the properer geting me then the ladder...

catherine96821:
Walter and Dennis, I like the method..but if I drop to the bottom rung some other diver will step on my head. So...maybe you tell them first "hey don't climb on me!'

That brings us to another rule - wait your turn. Wait until the diver in front of you is well clear of the ladder before you approach the ladder. I rarely have a problem with this because I almost always let anyone near the ladder board first.

Gilldiver:
10) Tip the crew well. You might find that once they know you are a good tipper, things go easier.

A good crew is worth a good tip. OTOH, a crew for which this rule applies is not a good crew. They get nothing from me.

Wildcard:
Some boats set up your gear for you, some do not. I prefer to set peoples gear up for them. I know it's right and I dont have to fix four problems out of six divers in the water.
OTH, I set up my own gear so dont touch it!

If you can't set up your own gear, take a refresher. I set up my own gear.

catherine96821:
Ann Marie:
In So Cal, DM's stay on the boat. You dive the site with just you and your buddy.

WHY is that, anyway?

Why would it be otherwise? If you've been out of the water for a long period of time or you are expanding your horizons a little and want a guided dive, OK, but otherwise you should be able to plan and execute your own dive. I hate guided dives. In areas where guided dives are the norm, I head off on my own. Did I see that Seahorse the DM pointed out to everyone else? No. OTOH, I saw tons of things they missed as well.

redrover:
I do a heavy sea ladder climb very differently than what I’m interpreting is recommended by those with lots more boat time (I’m reasonably sure) than me and it’s worked well for me. I admit I created my own method and wasn’t taught to do it anyway in particular. Maybe my reach and strength aren’t enough to hold myself off away from the ladder with a rigid arm, definitely not just one and get fins off.

It doesn't take that much strength, certainly not as much strength as required to hug the ladder hard enough to avoid getting banged up. If it works for you, go for it, but I'm not strong enough to use your method and I am stronger than I look.

Jon C:
When it is time to enter the water and the boat is crowded, yell "Look dolphins off the bow!" Then giant stride at your leisure.

I'll be getting in the water even faster to dive with the dolphins.

fisherdvm:
16. Don't take off your fin until you have at least one foot on the ladder, the next wave could knock you off and smash your jaw. Walter thinks this is a bad idea, I have to rethink it... Walter is probably right. I am a rookie.

16a. Per DennisW: Remove each fin and put the fins over your wrists. Grab the ladder with both hands further up and put both feet on the bottom rung of the ladder. Climb up.

16b. If the boat has ladders designed for fins; don't take your fins off until you're back on the boat :wink:

Even then, I take them off on the bottom rung, unless it's the Seadweller III which actually has seats at the top of the ladder for removing fins. Once you get to the top of the ladder you are either hopping around on a bouncing boat trying to get your fins off or you are walking to your seat with your fins on your feet. We all know walking with fins on causes flat places where your face used to be.

howarde:
16b. If the boat has ladders designed for fins; don't take your fins off until you're back on the boat :wink:

How do you tell if a ladder is designed for fins??

Walter:
Even then, I take them off on the bottom rung, unless it's the Seadweller III which actually has seats at the top of the ladder for removing fins. Once you get to the top of the ladder you are either hopping around on a bouncing boat trying to get your fins off or you are walking to your seat with your fins on your feet. We all know walking with fins on causes flat places where your face used to be.
Or - the Republic VII (Conch Republic divers) - they tell you to keep your fins on until you get onto the boat. (they remove them for you)

@ fisher - Ladder designed for fins -

ladder_drawing.jpg

I think the most important thing to do is Listen To The Crew! They know, or should know, local conditions. This means, in NC, you usually keep your fins on climbing the ladder, enter the water with no air in your BC, and the crew pops your fins on at the entry point. In those cases, keep your reg in your mouth at the entry and 'til you are on that boat. In FL, the conditions are radically different, as is NJ, DE, etc. Just because your way works in your home area, I hate to say it might not work elsewhere.
'nuf said
-Jay

Walter:
Why would it be otherwise? If you've been out of the water for a long period of time or you are expanding your horizons a little and want a guided dive, OK, but otherwise you should be able to plan and execute your own dive. I hate guided dives. In areas where guided dives are the norm, I head off on my own. Did I see that Seahorse the DM pointed out to everyone else? No. OTOH, I saw tons of things they missed as well.

I don't like guided dives either, I'm perfectly capabile of navigating and entertaining myself. But if the companies policy is that all divers are guided, then I go with it (or go on a different boat). It's really annoying as the guide (again assuming that company policy is that all dives are guided) to be constantly chasing down that one guy who is always going away from the group, it detracts from everyones dive. If you don't want a guided dive, mention that when you book the dive. If the company is not ok with it, find another company.
Some dives sites a guide may be required, like the town pier in Bonaire: you are legally required to have a local guide on that site.
Remember that when you go out on a boat, the Captain makes the law. The boat rules are not up for a vote. Do things the way the crew asks you to. If you have a reason for doing things differently let them know, they will usually be flexalbe, after all it's thier job to help you have a good time....

As far as using the head on a boat. The boaters rule is all sit! No spray = No smell. That and if it didn't go in your mouth, don't put it in the head.

Back
Top Bottom