Wireless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer:
I guess what I'm wondering about is whether or not you would thumb a dive if your SPG broke (say the glass cracked)? If so, then having a wireless transmitter might keep you in the water. Thoughts?

Your scenario is rather generic, but it asks for an absolute answer that justifies you adding an additional failure pont to a system DIR divers feel is adequate for the job.

The DIR method would be to lose the transmitter, and use your buddy's SPG while following the other procedures that take this sort of failure into account.

~ Jason

Rainer:
You're missing my point about asking. I'm not trying to jusify diving a wireless transmitter (I don't). Just trying to understand WHY it's not DIR. The answers people are giving make a lot of sense. Just want to get all of the questions out of my system. :D

Fair enough.

What are your thoughts concerning your backup SPG being your buddy's SPG?

~ Jason

Hadn't really thought about using my buddy's SPG (rather reasonable). Obviously means knowing your buddy's SAC (to convert to what your likely air is). Not a problem as I have a good sense of the breathing rates for both of the divers I dive with most. What else should I be considering?

darkpup:
Your scenario is rather generic, but it asks for an absolute answer that justifies you adding an additional failure pont to a system DIR divers feel is adequate for the job.

The DIR method would be to lose the transmitter, and use your buddy's SPG while following the other procedures that take this sort of failure into account.

~ Jason

Part of my problem here is that I don't understand what happens if the wireless transmitter o-ring fails. If the transmitter just stopped working, then it really isn't much of a problem (assuming a backup). If this results in a HP leak, then that really is bad (yes, obviously not as bad as a LP leak, but still not good!).

Rainer:
Hadn't really thought about using my buddy's SPG (rather reasonable). Obviously means knowing your buddy's SAC (to convert to what your likely air is). Not a problem as I have a good sense of the breathing rates for both of the divers I dive with most. What else should I be considering?

Now that is a great question.

Your initial question addressed gear, but it came at the problem from the perspective of a single person being overly redundant. By seeing the possibility that you could use your buddies SPG as a backup, you immediately saw that this type of solution would require a different level of communication and dependency on your buddy that you may not have been aware of.

What types of things do you see needing to take place to make sure everyone diving this method would be safe while increasing the fun involved in diving?

~ Jason

You came and asked a question to get a DIR answer.
You got your answer. Now you're just arguing your point, and losing.

edit: Yes, if the wireless transmitter's oring fails, it'll blow--just like any of your other hoses. The dive is over then and there, no questions asked. Why would you want to add another possible point of failure? Just use the standard analog dealie. I don't see any point in spending $$$ just to add a cool new electronic gadget to my rig.

Rainer:
Part of my problem here is that I don't understand what happens if the wireless transmitter o-ring fails. If the transmitter just stopped working, then it really isn't much of a problem (assuming a backup). If this results in a HP leak, then that really is bad (yes, obviously not as bad as a LP leak, but still not good!).

If an o-ring blows on any lp hose (or transmitter), the team needs to pull together to decide what needs to happen.

I'll give you two scenarios, but acknowledge that there could be an infinite number of solutions you and your team could use to solve the problem. These scenarios are based on my opinion, so keep that in mind. Others, depending on their experience, training, and confidence in the dive, may go with other solutions.

1. I'm on a 30' to 60' reef dive with my buddy with al80 single tanks. The o-ring on my transmitter blows, and there's a leak of gas from my first stage. With the surface in site, no required deco, and plenty of gas, I would keep diving until my gas supply was close to my Rock Bottom number.

My reason for this decision is that I could surface at any time, my buddy has enough gas for both of us to reach the surface if the problem gets worse, and it's probably a great day for diving.

2. I'm at 150' and 100' into a wreck penetration when the transmitter starts leaking gas. I'm using a set of doubles, and have stages and deco gas as backups.

I would thumb the dive, and isolate my gas supply to shut off the leak from that post to keep as much gas as possible.

Each scenario is based on my DIR training, my experience, and the type of dive I'm on. It would also leave room for my team to veto my decision on scenario 1, but not on scenario 2. Anyone can thumb the dive at any time for any reason. No questions asked.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but hoepfully it furthers the conversation.

~ Jason

Rainer:
Thanks for your post, Jason. That about answers all my questions!

If we get too combative in the DIR forum for you, you can always contact me directly if you have questions. I have to admit I came at your questions rather harshly based on my past experiences. It was wrong, and I apologize. I figured you would do a hit and run where you asked a couple of questions to stir things up, but you stuck in there when the rest of us got a little bent out of shape. It takes a very strong desire to learn new things to keep asking questions when the people you're seeking answers from get a bit heated in their replies. I hope we haven't scared you off.

I sometimes have to remind myself that I also ask a lot of questions, and find it to be a required trait in my dive buddies.

~ Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom