Wireless wrist mount vs console style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one that would admit it, but seriously, if you are diving twins to their intended use you wouldn't rely on AI for your safety.
I wasn't aware folks diving twins thought of tank pressure readings as a safety feature.

Reactions: Jax
A lot of it depends on what kind of diving you are doing. If you have a big camera in your hands (to me, that is a fair bit of task loading), then it is nice to not have to move your head to see your SPG, but rather just your eyes to see the computer on your wrist. That's my preference at least.

Also, Aeris/Atomic seems to have gotten wireless connectivity right in their latest offerings. I have the Aeris A300 CS, and the wireless connectivity is solid.

Since I like to have more accurate SAC values, I like to use my wireless computer, which hasn't been allowed when taking tec classes (no problem, I just put it back afterwards). I do have on order a 6" hose, as I did see it is a bad idea having a transmitter by itself off either reg. It needs to be out of the way and also not mistaken for your valve handle. That would be bad.

That said, I do plan on going to sidemount long term, in which I will be investing in two Shearwaters and not using wireless at all. Just an evolution of my training and skills as a diver. I'm sure there are many tec divers here who are also photographers and find photography to be a minor task. I'm not there yet. I'll be honest.

When I started diving I bought an air integrated Suunto Cobra console. As a new diver, it was nice to see tank pressure whenever I checked depth and/or time. I happily dove with it for 15 years.

Recently, I decided to spoil myself and buy a new computer. I wanted color, wrist mounted, air integrated wireless. I bought a Seabear H3 with the intention of getting their wireless transmitter when they released it. I bought a gauge to use until the wireless came out.

After diving a week in Cozumel, I did not miss air integration at all. My gauge was on a 24" hose clip to my waist. An easy glance down and I could see my pressure.

When I was less experienced, my Cobra was one of my favorite pieces of dive gear. It was permanently attached to my regulator and being able to monitor my tank pressure whenever I checked depth or time was comforting. It helped me be a more relaxed comfortable diver.

As I have become more experienced, I no longer feel a need for air integration. For a newer diver, I like a hosed air integrated dive computer.

Thanks for the reply Dmaziuk
i have priced the Atomic console unit and its actually close to the same price point of the Oceanic VTX unit.i was wondering if the console air integration would be more reliable than wireless transmitter.

Define close: I see $1300 for VTX w/ transmitter vs ~$900 for Cobalt. I think at this point hose is more reliable than wireless in the same way "good old" steering is more reliable than power steering: yes it is. In the academic sense.

Define close: I see $1300 for VTX w/ transmitter vs ~$900 for Cobalt. I think at this point hose is more reliable than wireless in the same way "good old" steering is more reliable than power steering: yes it is. In the academic sense.
I was quoted $1,400 for the VTX and $1,199.00 for the cobalt at a local dive shop . Where can I find a cobalt for 900.00? That would be awesome!!

I was quoted $1,400 for the VTX and $1,199.00 for the cobalt at a local dive shop . Where can I find a cobalt for 900.00? That would be awesome!!

Uhmm... google? Though it looks like cobalt 2 is indeed $1,200 and it's cobalt 1 that's $900, so in this case you're right.

If you look at e.g. LeisurePro list of computers with air integration, sorted by price, you'll see what I meant: generally AI console options are cheaper. Which is not unexpected as you save on transmitter/receiver & a few other components that way.

In this price range I'd personally go for TX1 as I'm not that fond of LCD screens, especially for vacation diving in Caribbean, and I'm not that afraid of clunkier user interfaces. But OTOH if I were spending a grand on gear, I'd buy a set of regs and a DG03 and a bottle of a pretty nice malt scotch. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom