Wireless wrist mount vs console style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
good evening all!! I'm new to the forum so I will start out by saying Hi and I enjoy reading posts!! I am a fairly new diver ,I guess you could say I'm a vacation diver at the moment but plan on diving more often in the future. I am torn between the Atomic dive computer and the Oceanic VTX. Is there and benefits to a console style computer vs a wrist mount and if so what are they?
Thank you in advance.

Yes,

A console is hard to forget in your dive bag.
Otherwise a wrist mount has a lot of benefits;
More streamlined
Always in view
If you continue to tec it is the preferred placement
You never fumble trying to find it
All the cool kids are doing it.....

Yes,

Air integrated console costs less than air integrated wrist unit.

Yes,

Otherwise a wrist mount has a lot of benefits;
More streamlined
Always in view
If you continue to tec it is the preferred placement
You never fumble trying to find it
All the cool kids are doing it.....
Thanks for the reply Decompression,the Oceanic VTX looks nice and i have also been waiting to see one of the new Liquidvision to be released.

Air integrated console costs less than air integrated wrist unit.
Thanks for the reply Dmaziuk
i have priced the Atomic console unit and its actually close to the same price point of the Oceanic VTX unit.i was wondering if the console air integration would be more reliable than wireless transmitter.

Yes, it is more reliable since there is less orings, less batteries, and no transmitter to go wrong.

If you are seriously considering AI with a transmitter then I really suggest using a 6" HP hose to connect the transmitter to the first stage. That keeps it tucked away and less likely to be ripped off.

I wonder, does anyone who dives twins or doubles use console style computers?

I wonder, does anyone who dives twins or doubles use console style computers?
No one that would admit it, but seriously, if you are diving twins to their intended use you wouldn't rely on AI for your safety.

If I HAD to have an Air Integrated Computer it would be one with a direct connection to the 1st stage, hose mounted, not a wireless unit. Personally I have had to many problems with wireless syncing. Your milage may vary. I prefer a wrist mounted computer for ease of use and reading but used a console mount for a number of years without a problem. Two big disadvantages of air integration are the if the sending unit on a wireless unit fails you have no pressure reading and if the 1st stage floods and you do not get it dried out and serviced before the next use you will very likely push water into your sending unit or your computer if it is hose mounted. End result is a dead sending unit or a dead computer, I have seen both happen.
I have an wireless AI computer, it was given to me, and like the AI function but have had enough syncing problems to not rely on the AI portion of the computer. I always have an SPG attached to my 1st stage and consider that my primary pressure gauge. I also dive with 2 computers most of the time, suspender and belt sort of guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom