Winthrop or Manchester by the Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there any dive site worth diving in Winthrop, MA or Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA? I ask because I can get a parking sticker... What I've seen on google maps looks shallow and uninteresting but ya never know. Extra points if there are lobsters at the site... :)

If you dove in these towns what was the dive like?

Thanks!

I've not been to Winthrop other than an accidental drive through. And as far as Manchester by the Sea- pretty but I can't see anywhere to get local access to the water other than Singing Beach. And Singing Beach is populated with a TON of swimmers and is a rocky beach. There is a small island within swimming distance, but can't say what you might find.

I also ride my by race bike by some of the more nicer areas of Manchester and its many mansions. The roads to beach access are plastered with signs that say "private road" or "homeowner access." I am sure the residents there would not hesitate to sic the cops on a diver.

The message I take home is that they don't want anyone not living there to enjoy the coastline. Good thing I am on a stealth black carbon race bike which is lightning quick. Good for getaways. :)

Reactions: Tug
Yeah, all the beach/waterfront is kept well guarded from "invaders". I was at Magnolia rocks the other week and the owner made sure we knew that we were on her property... Even though the pin to her property line is evident, she thinks she owns everything down to the sea.

In Winthop or Magnolia B-T-S, I was hoping that there would be a dive site accessible with resident parking bc I could get a sticker or permit to park there. I have friends who live in those towns and would give me a permit to park during the day.

I'm pretty sure White(s?) Beach in Manchester is resident parking during the summer. Rumor is that it's really not that interesting of a site, but people dive it, especially in the winter. If you want to swim a looooong way you could swim to the USS New Hampshire from there, although it's probably a better kayak dive.

White Beach is the only spot I know of in Manchester By Sea.

To be honest, I don't find it a very interesting dive but to each their own. If you head straight out it's pretty much all sand as far as you go. Right side has some interesting boulders and is more interesting.

Always wanted to try diving USS New Hampshire from here but havent really looked into the logistics yet. Much easier by boat :)

Thanks everyone... Sand = boring. Thought maybe there was a little know site that could be interesting. Guess not. I'll have to stick to tried and true.

Is there any dive site worth diving in Winthrop, MA or Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA? I ask because I can get a parking sticker... What I've seen on google maps looks shallow and uninteresting but ya never know. Extra points if there are lobsters at the site... :)

If you dove in these towns what was the dive like?

Thanks!

I haven't been shore diving in Manchester BTS since the late 70's (I took a 30 year hiatus from scuba, resuming in 2009), but remember some pleasant dives in the area. Currently, I frequently dive the wreck site of the USF New Hampshire off of MBTS from Fred Calhoun's boat the Easy Diver which avoids parking problems. Lots of interesting things to see there.

Since you have access to a resident parking pass, you should give it a try. I highly recommend Jerry Shine's book "A Shore Diving Guide to New England" for anyone who wants to know more about dive sites in the area. Jerry rates White Beach as ""a pretty nice dive" and notes that there are interesting ledges and boulders, with fish, lobsters, tunicates and sponges. Typical depths are down to 25 feet, so you should get plenty of bottom time. The non-resident parking restriction goes away from October 2 through April 29 so the beach is readily available for "off-season" diving as well.

Jerry doesn't have any entries for Winthrop, but ask around. The folks at Boston Scuba in East Boston or United Divers in Somerville would probably know.
You can find Jerry's book at most of your local dive shops.

Back
Top Bottom