Winter storage of tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We haven't had any trouble with condensation. With the tanks being aluminum and stainless steel it shouldn't be an issue anyway. Is this the only issue storing tanks in a cold environment. Does it stress the aluminum at all or effect the tanks integrity or valve seals? All the tanks will be stored in an upright position. Thanks ahead of time for any info.
Thanks, Marc

Steel scuba tanks are not stainless steel.

Valve seats might shrink in extreme cold. Worst case scenario, all your gas leaks out. Simple solution: DIN valves, with SS plugs.

I really don't see the problem with below freezing temperatures on tanks. There might be some issue if you were rapidly changing the temperature from 0 to 100 degrees but really, the tanks should be fine, imho.

Thanks for the input. I was talking about the valves and I misspoke about them. I mean chrome plated brass but that shouldn't matter in the cold anyway. With all the info gathered from everybody on this thread I see no reason to be concerned about winter storage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom