Winter storage of tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdkpsk

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone have info on whether I can leave my tanks in the dive trailer over the winter or should I find someplace to store them inside? They all have about 800 lbs. in them. They're all aluminum 80's and one aluminum 63.

Hello all,
Does anyone have info on whether I can leave my tanks in the dive trailer over the winter or should I find someplace to store them inside? They all have about 800 lbs. in them. They're all aluminum 80's and one aluminum 63.

is there risk of condensation in your trailer? maybe you can store them in your garage or basement, that's what I do

We haven't had any trouble with condensation. With the tanks being aluminum and stainless steel it shouldn't be an issue anyway. Is this the only issue storing tanks in a cold environment. Does it stress the aluminum at all or effect the tanks integrity or valve seals? All the tanks will be stored in an upright position. Thanks ahead of time for any info.
Thanks, Marc

I solve the problem by diving year-round.
:D

Ken

I solve the problem by diving year-round.
:D

Me too !

Now this aside, I would personally not leave them outside for storage... These cylinders have already enough stresses applied to them with pressures (filling, diving...) adding a very cold weather is unecessary and I wouldn't be surprised if this would affect their lifespan.

I will be testing whether the cold will affect my tanks too. It will dip below freezing at times in the outdoor shed where I am storing them. I'm pretty sure the metal won't get affected and if there is any shrinkage in the o-rings not enough to affect the escape of any gas . That being said I sure wouldn't store any helium in them. That stuff mysteriously disappears.

Me too !

Now this aside, I would personally not leave them outside for storage... These cylinders have already enough stresses applied to them with pressures (filling, diving...) adding a very cold weather is unecessary and I wouldn't be surprised if this would affect their lifespan.

Hey Trappist - you are tough European guy. I was in the Cape Ann area recently and just the slightest breeze made me duck into a cafe at Bearskin Neck for some warm tea. If anything those lobsters are all waiting for you! :D

The trailer is fine I live in Michigan are winters are a little colder, and I dive year round and keep all my gear in a unheated garage never had a problem,I have had times where my bc was frozen to my tank and put it in the garage and looked at it a week later and still was frozen,all was fine when it warmed up and thawed out .
Ed

I'd think you've got more risk with your gear than your tanks. If you don't ensure to get all the water from the BC/Reg you can get expansion/burst issues (relatively low chance, but possible). We store our tanks in an unheated shed for the winter (in Vermont) but keep the gear itself inside in a closet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom