Winter Diving in North Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How many of you guys have a drysuit and dive year-around in North Texas?

I got my first drysuit in late spring, and plan to do as much diving as I can this winter.

If you're interested in meeting up at CSSP or Murray, give me a shout! I'm interested in learning about other good divesites in the area--especially if they have better viz :)

A Dry Suit ...:rofl3:

The coldest it gets at Lake Murray is only 41 degrees...It ain't the Arctic Ocean.

But then, Comfortable is a state of mind and Dry might be sort of nice.... maybe

Keep in mind that a little cold misery never really killed anybody and may not be as bad as all the crap you have to do to dive dry.

As a side note:
Once you dive dry then fashion goes out the window and you get fat...
I never met a person that bought a dry suit and then lost weight.

Last edited:
Don't pay attention to TimeLiner - that is just the way he is. :D

Since you have the dry suit, use it. At 41F, you will eventually get cold anyway. It just takes a little longer, but the upside is that when you get out and the surface temps are cool, your not standing there wet and cold and can warm up quicker.

Also, in freshwater, under ice the water is about 37F, so Lake Murray in the winter is approaching ice diving water temps.

I dive year round in nearly any water temp.

Randy

the best place to dive during winter is Santa Rosa, New Mexico (right on I-40) ... water is 62 degrees year round as it is a fresh water spring. Also, since it is a spring the water is crystal clear (unless it is full of divers stirring up bottom, which rarely happens in wintertime). Lots of Texas divers come over in winter.

my latest video:
[vimeo]14808626[/vimeo]

this was shot a few weekends ago, on a Friday. Wintertime you can expect colder air temps but water always 62. :D Altitude is around 4500', so keep that in mind. Cost is $8 for a permit for weekend.

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom