Winter Cavern Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D

dwright

Hey gang,
The winter is approaching faster than we all care to admit. I'm putting together a trip down to the Florida Springs area to get in a cavern course. This is a great cours for those of us that like to dive in overhead environments. I'm not sure of the prices and everything yet just wanted to see if anyone is interested. I'm not in this to make any money so if you want to make the arrangements yourself that's fine. I'm just trying to secure a spot and get some group pricing. I already have 3 people including myself. If you're interested let me know either on this board or go here and respond.

Coming from the state you intend to visit and of course just going through the training you are intending to do, i thought i would say hi, throw in suggestions/comments and of course welcome any of you to post in the Florida Conch Divers forum when you are coming and we can make an event of it (BBQ, camping, the works) if you like.

I agree that the cavern course is a great one to take, not only for dealing with some of basics of penetration and emergency proceedures, but also a confidence booster and skill enhancement style of course. You may already know of the types of springs that you might be taken too for this course, typically if you go to north central FL it would include Ginnie and Peacock Springs with a couple of others sometimes used. There are a bunch of shops around here doing those courses, including Ginnie themselves, there are also independant instructors who teach the course. I would estimate that most courses on bulk buy would be around $200-250 with individual courses up to around $300. I cant be sure of the exact number, but i believe that an instructor can only take in 3 students into an overhead environment at one time per the regulations. This would mean that you might have to have more than one instructor and that you would have to be in seperate groups with different instructors, (ie inst A takes 3, inst B takes 3 etc) however maybe on open water work and dry land exercises they might be able to teach more people at one time (i will ask my instructor to come over and give a little info if you like?). These courses typically run over a 2-3 day format and require a near mastery of the skills and adequate problem solving under increasing stressors (ie mask off, then silt out). I reckon you can make a good trip of this, but i just saw the detail about getting a bulk price and wanted to let you know of the limits of instr/students and of course to give an idea of what to expect in the course and price range as well as seeing when this was coming up and if you wanted to make a social of it during your non-training time.

Good luck with the endevour.

Thanks for the info Simon...I would love to make a social outing of it. That's why we dive right? :wink: I have numerous emails out to various outfits down that way for info. I'll keep you posted.

Some links:
NACD
NSS-CDS
TDI - see overhead env/cavern
More info
Ginnie's instruction
Cave Excursions's instruction
And last but not least - GDI - my instructor
There are other references, i will see if i can find anything else, but this should be plenty to give you a feel for the kinds of things you would have to do for the class, the kinds of costs involved and some possible instructors.

Just post down in the FCD forum when you are thinking of going and we shall see what transpires! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom