Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWMurf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did not move fast enough while the Golem Gear was selling inexpensively. Now the price is WAY up. Does anyone know where to get a sturdy singles wing for under $275? Or even a setup like Golem was selling a while back including the plate for about $300?

Also, it seems that I have heard a reputable name attached to ScubaL. Does anyone know who owns and operates ScubaL and do you know anything about the gear. The Maximus looks interesting and is certainly cheap but by the description and the warranty it doesn't seem that it would hold up very well.

Thanks

Deep Sea supply has them listed for $289.00 and he supports ScubaBoard. I love his wings... actually I love his entire product line and have been diving them for a while: way before he started supporting us. He might even offer a discount for ScubaBoardians! :D

MRF:
Does anyone know where to get a sturdy singles wing for under $275?

The only wing that I know of that meets your requirements above is the Razor from Oxycheq... $240.

http://www.oxycheq.com/Wings-Razor.html

At just 10 dollars over your budget you could get an Oxycheq Sig series wing here...

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OXYSSWing

The Razor is a single layer wing and the Sig is an inner bladder/outer shell. Each design has its merits. They are both oval designs... perhaps another big plus. They both are also top of the line wings.

Thanks. I have been looking at that oxy sig on Scubatoys.

Anybody know background on ScubaL?

MRF:
Thanks. I have been looking at that oxy sig on Scubatoys.

Anybody know background on ScubaL?

ScubaL (former Triple L) is own by French bag manufacture. Their factory is located in Vietnam. They started to produce the BP/W, Maxiumus from the last year. So, I am not sure how many members here actually are using Maximus. However, their BCD, wetsuit, and bag are excellent quality...

I would look at the Oxycheq at Scuba Toys for $255. It seems like the best deal out there for what your looking for. Also there is the OMS single 32lbs donut style at Leisure Pro for $279.

If money is not the issue for me it would be between the Oxycheq Sig Series $285 and Deep See Supply's new Torus wing $309. I really like Patricks and Tobins products. I am currently trying to decide between these two wings myself.

KGdiver

Go with the Oxycheq Signature from Scubatoys. Call them up and tell them you're a Scuba Board member and you'll get 10% off. I paid $257 for my 30# Signature and I'm VERY happy with it (and have tried several others).

I've done business with Scubal quite often for wetsuits and bags - they make sturdy products, and while I would consider a jacket from them, I have not been impressed with the description of the Maximus wing. It is inexpensive and will get you into a bp/wing fast, but you might find yourself wanting to change out the wing all too soon. This is not based on the quality of the product (as I said, their quality is quite good for the price) it is the features of the wing, too big, too many dump valves, how do you repair a "stretchable" bladder? among a few other concerns I have with it. Again, all this is based on their descriptions and info from their forum, I have not seen the Maximus in person (though I've considered one for a loaner rig, then decided it wasn't worth it... I'm saving for a DSS rig instead)

If you decide to go with one,please let us know your impressions of the wing as I have not seen any users of the Maximus post here yet (or on their forum for that matter)

Aloha, Tim

I have decided to get a good wing for regular use but am thinking about getting a Maximus just to try it out, and perhaps as a loaner for new wing divers. I am concerned with the quality. I don't want to puncture my wing on a tree limb or anything so I am getting a sturdy one for my main singles wing.

I am a little leary of the 1 piece design by any manufacturer, although I'm sure most of them are pretty tough.

I'll let you know how the Maximus looks if I actually get it.

Thanks for the info and guidance!

Murph

Back
Top Bottom