Wings: Halcyon vs Golem vs DSS - A No-BS-Assessment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Will the Oxycheq and the DSS bolt to a Halcyon plate?

By your statement above, you'd be looking to use a STA...
11" hole spacing is an 'industry' standard... AFAIK - all manufacturers wings will accommodate...

H, DSS, Oxyhex, Golem all provide quality products... The Oxy and DSS seem quite streamlined lately... Golem's are the toughest looking I've seen.

You won't go wrong w/ any of them...

Both the Oxycheq and the DSS wings have a form of roll control on them and do not require a STA. It is also because of the roll control on the DSS wing that I am not sure if it will work on a Halcyon plate.

Thanks. Will the Oxycheq and the DSS bolt to a Halcyon plate?

Yup: 11" = 11"

I have both DR and DSS wings and am happy with both. The primary wing I use is a DSS now and have over 1200 dives on it and it still looks new. I have been in tight spaces with sharp corners with it, rocks with rough edges and travelled with it twice across the ocean to dive more wrecks and it is hanging in very well.

DSS makes a very tough wing, eliminates STA plates for singles and the doubles are very tidy and streamlined. I would buy them again.

Both the Oxycheq and the DSS wings have a form of roll control on them and do not require a STA. It is also because of the roll control on the DSS wing that I am not sure if it will work on a Halcyon plate.

Golem wings also have built-in STA/roll control

I just picked up a "HOG" wing from Tech Diving limited.
HOG 32 lbs Wing for Single Tanks [Wing-HOG-32] - $249.95 : Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc.

Half the price of the others and so far seems much tougher than my Halcyon wing. Also no STA needed. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another or consider some of their other gear.

I've got that wing too and the quality is great. About 60 dives on it so far and it still looks new. HOG Gear 32lb Wing for Single Cylinder Diving - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL has a great deal on it - $199.

I have not done a side by side comparison of 3 but I was recently in the market for a BP/W. It was a toss up between Hal and OMS. I then decided to get a Hal for doubles and an OMS for single tank. H still is great quality & so is OMS. I have to say OMS has a much thicker STA and I've seen Hal's STA's bent.

Of the four, only Halcyon and DSS make their wings in-house. Quality control is an intimate detail for them since they don't sell their "blems". I have never seen a DSS wing not fit a plate, but I do like their plates the best.

In addition, I like the fact that both Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon see the good here on ScubaBoard and support our efforts. Even if the products were even, I would suggest that we support those who support us. It only makes sense. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom