Wings: Halcyon vs Golem vs DSS - A No-BS-Assessment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, I’ve been out of the game for a while now. The last time I bought any equipment was in 2002 or so. I was neck deep into the DIR game and was on several forums, including SB, dishing out advice when asked. Now, I need to lean on ya’ll for a bit. Back in the day, Halcyon was the king of the wings. Dive Rite wasn’t great, and OMS sucked (if for no other reason than their motives). Now, I see that there are a couple other manufacturers that seem to offer wings which, on the face of it, seem to be DIR compliant… DSS and Golem/Oxycheq. As I recall, the Oxycheq was just coming out (or was gaining popularity) when I stopped diving regularly.

Anyway, has anyone on here had the three wings side by side and done a no-BS-assessment of the three to find out which offers the best quality product? If so, can you describe? The Halcyon Explorer wing treated me just fine for Great Lakes wreck diving, but time can change things. I have little doubt that Halcyon still has a decent product, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if someone built a better quality wing without the unnecessary markup which Halcyon is/was known for. Specifically, I’m looking for a single tank wing for ocean diving.

Thanks!

Mike

I can't comment on the Golem Gear wings, although I know some people who have them and like them. But both Halcyon and DSS make very good quality equipment. I didn't like the Halcyon inflator, which has a lower flow than the DSS. I know why they do it, I just didn't like it for myself.

DSS has some nice little things in their setup -- their wobble-stopper really works, and no STA is necessary, and they include the elastomer grommets in their backplate, which obviates the necessity for a triglide at the bottom of the plate, and reduces chafing.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those brands, but price can be quite different.

I have no exeperience with Golem gear but I have nothing but praise for both Halcyon and Oxycheq. I have a single tank wing from both and actually find little to distinguish them. I have recently moved to Halcyon for my wings (just the preference of the moment) but I would have no issue recommending Oxycheq. In my opinion, they are the "poor man's" Halcyon wing. :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I really like my DSS singles wing. Looks really tough and has plenty of lift for me. Also, when I was diving in California DSS rigs were all over the place to give you an idea of their popularity. Tobin makes good stuff.

Peace,
Greg

Like many individuals I own two brands but not all three. I have 3 DSS wings at the moment and an oxycheq. When it comes to DSS as a unit it can't be beat. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to remove the wing from the BP without having to undo the cam bands. The DSS setup is a great rig and you will not be disappointed.

That said, I am a fan of my oxycheq wing. If I already had a BP and harness and was just going to buy a wing I would probably go with the oxycheq because of the fact that the DSS wing is not made to fit every BP unlike the oxycheq.

When it comes down to it all of the big wing manufacturers make a solid product. If you are starting from scratch with your equipment again I would recommend DSS without hesitation. It is a simple well thought out rig that can't be beat.

The halcyon evolve is a donut-wing upgrade of the explorer and works great (60# evolve for 8" tanks, 40# evolve for 7.5" tanks).

I'm a big fan of Oxycheq myself. They have the "extreme" line which features an incredibly tough outer shell that is very difficult to poke a hole through or slice with a sharp object.
The bladders are made out of 24 oz. material and the Mach V singles wing have a 360 degree loop zipper so the entire bladder can be accessed for cleaning or repairs.
I don't know about price points. Oxycheq isn't one of the cheapest AFAIK.
They also have the inflator hose off to the left and some people consider this a benefit and more versitile for reg/wing placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Will the Oxycheq and the DSS bolt to a Halcyon plate?

Thanks. Will the Oxycheq and the DSS bolt to a Halcyon plate?

I know the Oxycheq Mach V 30 lbs singles wing will. Really like that wing.

Henrik

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom