wing with built in STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a DSS Torus 35 wing but needs replacing eventually. I love how it rolls up really small when I travel with my bp/w.

Are there other wings/brands out there that have a built-in STA (single tank adapter to keep tank/wing from floppin around d)?

I am looking for under 40lbs of lift. Thanks!
Sbell

How far under 40lbs? If you can find an old Halcyon Pioneer 27 (simple torus design) or 36 (torus with expanding baffles), it'll fit the bill perfectly.

If you don't want another DSS then I would try a HOG. I have one of the 32 lb versions and it folds quite easily. I have an Oxycheq 18 and a Hollis S25 and neither fold.

Hollis wings also have built in STA (removable).

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 11:00 PM ----------

Sorry, just noticed It was already mentioned.

Hollis wings do not have a built in STA, you can dive the wing without a STA (generally without problems), but if you want one, you must buy it separately.

OK, I'll be more specific for the OP. While strictly speaking not an actual STA, they do come with "roll control" tabs similar to Oxycheq wings. They are held in place with velcro IIRC and do the same thing as an STA. I've used them they work fine and as intended, as do the Oxycheq "roll control" tabs.

Last edited:
The "built in" tabs feed through the cam bands, if I remember correctly, but they certainly don't attach to velcro from what I see from looking at mine. The hollis wing dives fine without it on most occasions, but I noticed an improvement when I added my STA.

The "built in" tabs feed through the cam bands, if I remember correctly, but they certainly don't attach to velcro from what I see from looking at mine. The hollis wing dives fine without it on most occasions, but I noticed an improvement when I added my STA.

Yes, me too with the Oxycheq "tabs", although they worked fine I too prefer a solid STA. Particularly when adding trim weight pockets the use of a solid STA enables the pockets to sit closer to the plate. More than likely user error but I also noticed on occasion the wing would be an on angle on the tank but with the solid STA it's always straight. Perhaps I just needed to take more care lining it up.

More than likely user error but I also noticed on occasion the wing would be an on angle on the tank but with the solid STA it's always straight. Perhaps I just needed to take more care lining it up.

Indeed, the STA can save some frustration there, haha.. Back on topic though, a bp/w that can roll up isn't really a true backplate, seems you want something with a back pad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom