Wing v BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Absolutely true! (Although if your BC doesn't have trim pockets or any other easy way to put weight up on your back, it can be hard to trim out properly.)

Halcyon makes nice trim pouches that fit anywhere on your webbing. This is exactly how I presently trim-out my soft harness now. And this is how I would do it for an aluminum travel plate as well.

I prefer the heavy steel plate for anything except travel. And for travel the trim pouches work perfectly.

JeffG:
Kinda like yourself?

Yes, including me. That's why I rarely offer advice.

Of course you hide both your post count and you dive totals.

Stephen Ash:
Ouch!

I suspect you didn't mean that the way it sounded... right?

I hid it so I won't be a target for the mods who seem to enjoy deleting my posts.

But here... I'll open it up again... just for you, Don. :D

Sorry Stephen....

I would think anyone who is up in that 1,000 dive range would be extremely qualified to offer advice to others and more to the point, I'd be a lot more likely to accept it.

I guess I can see how you might have taken my comments wrong but no, they were not directed toward you. You used to show it and I was curious why you decided to hide it. Now I know.

Frequently I'm curious as to why people who seem knowledgable claim to be "uncertified" or stuff like that.

I have 183 dives. Total noob by your standards.

Don Janni:
Yes, including me. That's why I rarely offer advice.

Of course you hide both your post count and you dive totals.

Don Janni:
Frequently I'm curious as to why people who seem knowledgable claim to be "uncertified" or stuff like that.

Because this is the internet and both can easily be faked or lied about.

Only the content of the post matters.

The wing/BP certainly is modular. I have dove doubles and singles on my Hammerhead, used three different wings on it--that is modular.

It is true however that I wanted a light and simple small wing BP for general use and travel. I think I found it with the Freedom Plate and Mach V though I am still working to optimize it. The Mach V rolls up super small or even left on the plate fits nicely in a small dive bag. The Freedom Plate has enough heft that I need no weight belt when diving with no wet suit and at only about four pounds is hardly to heavy to pack. Weight may be good for coldwater divers but for warm water and travelling it is not a good thing. The Mach V is sleeker than most 18 pound wings,just as narrow or more so but a bit longer. It is lightweight and rolls easily, combined with a small plastic plate it would be even more travel ready. The DiveRite STA I use is thin stainless, it weighs hardly nothing to speak off.

I think "travel" is the one area the wing/BP has competition from some jackets (jackets and back inflate cumberbund things are all the same to me). A lightweight wing that has no more than 22 pounds lift and a small profile (sculpted) plastic plate would be super light.

Still, just my thoughts, to date, the smallest, lightest, do anything/general purpose (other than doubles) wing/BP combination I have used is the Mach V on Freedom Plate and I imagine the DSS plastic plate would be slightly lighter but perhaps more bulky since it is a full profile plate but a good combination as well. A 30 pound wing of any sort is hardly large or heavy. Most jacket and back inflates are far larger and heavier than that and floaty with all the padding and bulk of cumberbunds.

I would like to see more color choice from the military black.

N

JeffG:
Because this is the internet and both can easily be faked or lied about.

Only the content of the post matters.

It's not so hard to sound like you know what your talking about. Sure people can lie about their experience but eventually it shows through.

If I had 500 dives I'd be proud of it and I sure wouldn't worry that someone might think I lied about my dive log.

All I know is when I'm sitting in the dentist's chair it's reassuring to see their diploma hanging on the wall.

Don Janni:
It's not so hard to sound like you know what your talking about. Sure people can lie about their experience but eventually it shows through.

If I had 500 dives I'd be proud of it and I sure wouldn't worry that someone might think I lied about my dive log.

All I know is when I'm sitting in the dentist's chair it's reassuring to see their diploma hanging on the wall.
There...I edited my Profile.

Did my posts now somehow get better?

JeffG:
There...I edited my Profile.
That's a lot of dives for someone living in Edmonton ... what'ya do, log your showers?

JeffG:
Did my posts now somehow get better?
I sure hope so ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
That's a lot of dives for someone living in Edmonton ... what'ya do, log your showers?
Showers...we don't take no stinkin showers here.

NWGratefulDiver:
I sure hope so ... :wink:
Everybody is a critic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom