Wing maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MnLakeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I borrowed a Halcyon BP/Wing set up for my OW and thought is was better then the other BC’s I was able to try. Now My LDS has one in stock that he will sell my for $430 including Halcyon SS BP, 45lb Pioneer wing, webbing, cam straps, and the storage pack on the BP (all new).:deal:

Now I believe this is to good of a deal to pass up, but he is not setup to service BC’s so here’s my questions. How much Maintenance is there for a BP/wing and do I need to find someone special to do it? And where is a good place to put a storage pocket. (I dive wet in a 2 piece 7 mill so don’t see a pocket on the wet suite working, correct me if I am wrong)
:confused:

That's a really decent price for the combo. I haven't done any maintenance to my wings yet, so don't worry about that. There's nothing complicated to a wing. If it breaks, you can fix it very easily. Of course, being as simple and tough as they are, they aren't likely to break either :wink:.

The storage pack goes right on the front of the plate (that's partly why the holes are there on the parimeter of the plate). You can buy pockets for your wetsuit and just glue them on.

That's a good buy.

Mike

Originally posted by MnLakeDiver
I borrowed a Halcyon BP/Wing set up for my OW and thought is was better then the other BC’s I was able to try. Now My LDS has one in stock that he will sell my for $430 including Halcyon SS BP, 45lb Pioneer wing...
From www.halcyon.net/mc/pioneer.shtml:

The Pioneer 45 wing is specifically designed for extreme cold water use or where lift must be capable of offsetting unusual amounts of applied ballast. This system is not recommended for typical recreational diving.

When I spoke with either EE or LBS about the Halcyon system, the rep told me the 45lb wing was created only at the insistence of the Canadian military (or one of their governmental agencies, I can't remember which), and he strongly discouraged me from buying one.

Maybe it's appropriate for your environment, but I'd double-check with Halcyon to be sure.

metridium,
I looked at the halcyon site and it looks like a 36 lb wing may be recomended.
what do other people think keep in mind I dive wet so I dont have the lift from a drysuit alto I will be shoping for an alternet lift source soon.

I would especialy like the input of other cold water (great lakes / ice) divers on what they have(or wished they had)

I've used my 55lb wing for everything from pool work and reef diving in Hawaii to single ST/AL tanks and doubles with a drysuit. The big wing is not optimal for singles, but it does work. IMO, the 45lb wing you are looking at will serve you well for anything you want to do. In fact, it may be the preferred wing if you are using a bigger single steel tank and a thick wetsuit. One of these days, I'll order a 27lb wing for my single and for travel.

Good luck.

Mike

Will he give you that price with a 36 lb wing? The 45 lb wings are not in much demand and may be going cheaper now.

I think the double alum recommended wing is only 40 lbs so 45 on a single is overkill.

I just put pockets on my wetsuit and love them. Cannot even tell they are there. There are some gluing tips on the Halcyon site. I guess it depends on how long the farmer jon is, since you want to pockets fairly low.

While that is a good price make sure it is what you want, you are saving 75$ or so which is not much in the long run in terms of scuba money lay out.

Tommy

I use the 27lb wing in cold water with a wet suit. I dive with LP 108 and HP 100's. I use a 55 for Duals...But I usually dive Dry. I dive in quarries in MO mostly.

I would get the 36 or 27 if I were you. And if I had it to do over. I'd still get the 27. It's a sweet wing..... For tropical diving I'd like to get the 18. But that's about all it's good for.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom