Wing inflation using either diluent or drysuit cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Would like to use the (cheap) drysuit gas as opposed to the (expensive) diluent gas. I don’t want to just rewire it from diluent to drysuit, I want to be able to switch between sources underwater so that both buoyancy systems aren’t reliant upon a single cylinder. Not least as I’ve no visible gauge on the drysuit cylinder.

Obviously don’t want any possibility of drysuit gas (air) contaminating the trimix diluent.

Ideas?

Dual bladder wing?

The redundant inflation sources is a hard one to get around, simply anyway. Depending on how you wanted to play the game there are various ways of shut offs, change overs, no-return valves that can be made to work. Hard to call any of them right even if they are functional.

Don't want to just keep it simple and reliable? Shouldn't be using a huge amount of wing gas - or are you doing a lot of cave-type up and down? CCR makes the trimix cost so cheap, doubt you would save a huge amount by hooking your wing to your inflation bottle, and you would lose redundancy.

Yeah, I understand that if you put QC6 connections you can switch during the dive, but I just don't see the need for that, and adding that complication.

Would like to use the (cheap) drysuit gas as opposed to the (expensive) diluent gas. I don’t want to just rewire it from diluent to drysuit, I want to be able to switch between sources underwater so that both buoyancy systems aren’t reliant upon a single cylinder. Not least as I’ve no visible gauge on the drysuit cylinder.

Obviously don’t want any possibility of drysuit gas (air) contaminating the trimix diluent.

Ideas?

Just add an inflation cylinder (to keep things simple I just use air but you could also use argon). Plug directly into the inflation tank and if you have a loss of inflation tank underwater then plug back into your onboard dil. Or if you have have expensive trimix in your onboard dil or not much left then no ideal but it it still works just plug into your 50% (or not ideal whatever leaner deco gas your have on you).

I dive with a 3rd or sometime 4th (as back up o2) S19 on my unit.

For your statement about not mixing gases. ALWAYS label ALL your quick disconnects, I always label all hoses and anytime you plug anything into your unit always confirm with your buddy (same protocols as OC diving with gas switches) Sometimes I will have 5-6 different QD's all with different gasses so they all need to be labeled and confirmed by buddy.

Don't want to just keep it simple and reliable? Shouldn't be using a huge amount of wing gas - or are you doing a lot of cave-type up and down? CCR makes the trimix cost so cheap, doubt you would save a huge amount by hooking your wing to your inflation bottle, and you would lose redundancy.

Yeah, I understand that if you put QC6 connections you can switch during the dive, but I just don't see the need for that, and adding that complication.
I find it surprising how much dil and wing inflate I use on deeper dives. Just did a 150m last week and used 90bar of an s19 for dil. Also used 100bar of an s19 for inflation. If I was running on my onboard only I would have basically finished the tank. Also leaves not margin of gas for dil flushes or accidental over venting. Also there is no redundancy.

1656722335678.png

1656722528789.png

Ideas?

Just add an inflation cylinder (to keep things simple I just use air but you could also use argon). Plug directly into the inflation tank and if you have a loss of inflation tank underwater then plug back into your onboard dil. Or if you have have expensive trimix in your onboard dil or not much left then no ideal but it it still works just plug into your 50% (or not ideal whatever leaner deco gas your have on you).

I dive with a 3rd or sometime 4th (as back up o2) S19 on my unit.

For your statement about not mixing gases. ALWAYS label ALL your quick disconnects, I always label all hoses and anytime you plug anything into your unit always confirm with your buddy (same protocols as OC diving with gas switches) Sometimes I will have 5-6 different QD's all with different gasses so they all need to be labeled and confirmed by buddy.

I find it surprising how much dil and wing inflate I use on deeper dives. Just did a 150m last week and used 90bar of an s19 for dil. Also used 100bar of an s19 for inflation. If I was running on my onboard only I would have basically finished the tank. Also leaves not margin of gas for dil flushes or accidental over venting. Also there is no redundancy.

View attachment 731118

View attachment 731119

Thank you for those really good points.

Simplicity is the key. Ideally alternate wing inflate buttons on the same corrugated wing hose — never seen options for this.

Routing a second LP hose with Schroeder valve female for switching could work although the need to switch would probably be one of those sudden "must do now!" tasks and Schroeder valves can be temperamental. Changing the suit inflate cylinder to 3 litres and adding a SPG should mitigate the need to switch.

A dual bladder wing would be the most redundant option. Most of these seem to be the old school massive bungeed wings. As ever there’s few options for Revo wing replacements.

The technological solution would feature all sorts of plumbing; non-return valve, flow stop, Y-adapter and playing with IP pressures or two flow stops. Complexity vs simplicity.

Why not have a spare inflator on your bailouts, just plug in when necessary. Keep it neat and it's impossible to plug the wrong one, no unnecessary hardware needed.

I’m using a 3 liter tank for my drysuit + wing (+button spg).

(I also use 3 liter oxygen which is connected to mav + solenoid. My left 7 liter tank is connected to spg + bungee backup regulator. My right 7 liter tank is connected to longhose + adv.)

When I have a failure at the 3 liter tank which is connected to my drysuit + wing, there are 3 options:

- plug in a stage at wing inflator/drysuit
- switch to backup regulator and orally inflate wing.
- switch to backup regulator and fill rebreather lungs with oxygen or dilluent.

Why not have a spare inflator on your bailouts, just plug in when necessary. Keep it neat and it's impossible to plug the wrong one, no unnecessary hardware needed.
Most CCR divers do have that — mine also. This is used in an urgency (drysuit hose not connected, etc).

I like to keep my bailouts for bailout. Aside from test breaths, I don’t want the bailout gas used as part of the dive gas. Couple of reasons: when you need bailout, you *really* need bailout and most deep dives are constrained by bailout volumes. If you’re using the gas during the dives, pressure will drop and will frequently need topping off. This can be inconvenient and expensive (often bailout cylinders are out of test).

Question: Does anyone know of a TWO BUTTON wing inflate valve?

Meaning two separate BCD nipples and buttons on a single wing inflate corrugated hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom