Wing bladder size and suggestion for backplate/harness system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a 28lb wing on my BCD and definitely would not float with a steel 100 tank, regs and weights. I when with a 38 lb wing and now everything floats when I take it off in the water. Unless you are wearing a very thin suit, go for the 40 lb wing.

One more body flying onto the dogpile.
If you’re using a 5-6 lb plate, 20+ lbs of added non ditchable weight, a big negative steel tank, and all the other stainless components on the rig, a 30 probably won’t float it.
Get the 40.
I never heard of anyone getting a 40 and wishing they got a 30.
But I have heard of people getting a 30 and wishing they got a 40.
A 40 is not that much bigger than a 30. Size wise it’s negligible really.

While the general advice is sound, the conclusions haven't considered some important information. OP, you said up to 10 kg of lead, but using what tank? If it was an AL80 tank and jacket style BC, a 30 lb wing would be fine, as rig buoyancy would be about -24 lbs (-22 lb lead - 2 lb full AL80), possibly -22 lb if there's lots of padding in that BC. Using a heavier or larger capacity steel tank or heavier backplate would simply trade off lead.

Simply split the difference, and buy a 35 lb. lift wing. Specifically, the Argonaut by VINTAGE Double Hose (VDH).
1657380906216.png
Argonaut Wing #35
(Product ink)

Gobs of great reviews: VDH BP/W package review
VDH wings in stock!!!
Special on BP/Wing combos. #18 #23 or #35 lift
Be aware, that they are not always in stock. 🦅

I have four wings for different types of diving: 20, 30 for singles and 40 and 60 for doubles.

The 40lbs wing is used for double 80s. I use an 11lbs V-weight with a dry suit, and can take 2 deco bottles, or one deco bottle and an 80cf stage. That 40lbs wing will float four aluminum tanks. So I’m having difficulty seeing a situation where a 40lbs wing is necessary for single tank diving.

Instead of trying to buy one all-purpose wing, buy one for the type of diving you do now. If you venture into more advanced dives, you’ll need another wing anyway.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am still quite confused as to which would be better because it seems the opinions are about evenly split.

As far as I understand it seems that in terms of the necessity for the wing to keep me afloat a 30lb wing would be enough however it might struggle to keep my kit afloat without the buoyancy given by me and my suit, right?

One thing to consider is I prefer integrated weights as I’ve always found that weight belts get in the way and keep coming loose on me, would the fact that all my weight is on the rig change things?

Opinions are split because there is not enough info to push either direction. I think an answer to these would pretty much pin it down: what cylinder do you use when you need 10 kg lead? Is that salt or fresh water?
I dive salt water and usually 12l cylinders. When I was in the Red Sea this year it was 10kg with a 12l aluminium tank and a 6.5mm semi dry. With 12l steel cylinders I only needed like 8kg in the med. in Scotland I dive with steel 12 with a dry suit a probably need closer to 12 or 13 kg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom