Windy week in SE Florida 10/19/2015-10/24/2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luscioman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looks like all week will be windy in SE Florida. Wind gust throughout the week are predicted from 19knots - 29 depending on the day blowing out of the NE. Looks like everyone will be topside for the rest of the week.

NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 25 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 35 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS TO 10 FEET ALONG THE COAST AND 10 TO 12 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS TO 15 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. DOMINANT PERIOD 9 SECONDS. NORTH NORTHEAST SWELL 3 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

The good thing about FL is you can always find some place to dive. Winds that affect the sea conditions in the SE & FL Keys rarely affect the springs or caves.

the ocean is very Angy right now......white caps everywhere.

When you see whitecaps on the Intracoastal, you know it's bad! The ocean was WILD today!

I spent 10/14 - 10/18 aboard the Spree.

10/15 the weather was fine and the diving was great. The weather began deteriorating from there, but the diving was still very enjoyable. Granted the viz was not what someone who dives less frequently than I would desire, but I honestly enjoy the crappy viz. It allows me to focus more precisely. I also like it when Barracudas swim right into my face, which only happens in poor viz. I got 4 dives on the Vandenberg. The top conditions were pretty rough. The dives were fabulous though! Despite the deteriorating conditions I managed to do 15 dives in 4 days, all solo, all peaceful and joyful. If I wasn't on a liveaboard, I would have passed on all of that diving, but I was on one, and I am REALLY glad that I was!

Oh, the bad weather also brought the dolphin pods in close to shore and there were sooo many juveniles. I rarely see them when the ocean is flat.

Now I'm sitting at my desk looking at the marine forecast and realizing that I won't need to "work from home" this week. It looks like conditions will be more inviting by the weekend. I can't wait to get back into the water. I love living in S FL.

Now, to finally use that tropical dry suit I bought three years ago, and become a FL winter diver.

Now, to finally use that tropical dry suit I bought three years ago, and become a FL winter diver.
Sounds like you know how to make the best of any dive. Envious of your trip!

Would love to hear which tropical suit you picked and get a review once you have had a chance to form an optnion on it.

Would love to hear which tropical suit you picked ...

I bought the White's tropical suit. I'll let you know once I start getting it wet what my opinion is. In my typical me fashion I have really moved slowly on implementing that new piece of gear.

I spent 10/14 - 10/18 aboard the Spree.

10/15 the weather was fine and the diving was great. The weather began deteriorating from there, but the diving was still very enjoyable. Granted the viz was not what someone who dives less frequently than I would desire, but I honestly enjoy the crappy viz. It allows me to focus more precisely. I also like it when Barracudas swim right into my face, which only happens in poor viz. I got 4 dives on the Vandenberg. The top conditions were pretty rough. The dives were fabulous though! Despite the deteriorating conditions I managed to do 15 dives in 4 days, all solo, all peaceful and joyful. If I wasn't on a liveaboard, I would have passed on all of that diving, but I was on one, and I am REALLY glad that I was!

Oh, the bad weather also brought the dolphin pods in close to shore and there were sooo many juveniles. I rarely see them when the ocean is flat.

Now I'm sitting at my desk looking at the marine forecast and realizing that I won't need to "work from home" this week. It looks like conditions will be more inviting by the weekend. I can't wait to get back into the water. I love living in S FL.

How were the Dry Tortugas??

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom