Windy Point Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvilleStang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I spent the day out there for dog days, and I'll have to say, the viz definitely went to crap after a day of OW's, dry suit divers, and other such divers. I met WILLIE for the first time, and saw Ian and LVX out there. One question I do have (or more of a report):

Sometime around noon there was a dive incident where a diver was required to be taken by EMS to the local hospital. THAT is all I have from facts. I was told this is what happened: She was in an open water class, was in the process of a mask clearing drill, panicked, and bolted from the surface. The entertaining fact of it all is several people insisted she was bent, but the max depth was said to be around 20 feet (good luck getting bent that shallow). I'm guessing AGE, or Lung over-expansion, but there's been nothing yet. I'm really thinking she wasn't bent due to the fact that the medics didn't hurry her off (she spent over an hour in the ambulance before they even left). If anyone hears anything, feel free to share. My thoughts and prayers go out to her, and I hope she is okay.

edited: note: never write after a six pack...

From your report, I would guess it was just an anxiety attack. I can't imagine the ambulance staying in place for an hour prior to transport if it was anything serious.

PvilleStang:
So I spent the day out there for dog days, and I'll have to say, the viz definitely went to crap after a day of OW's, dry suit divers, and other such divers. I met Shaggy for the first time, and saw Ian and LVX out there. One question I do have (or more of a report):

Sometime around noon there was a dive incident where a diver was required to be taken by EMS to the local hospital. THAT is all I have from facts. I was told this is what happened: She was in an open water class, was in the process of a mask clearing drill, panicked, and bolted from the surface. The entertaining fact of it all is several people insisted she was bent, but the max depth was said to be around 20 feet (good luck getting bent that shallow). I'm guessing AGE, or Lung over-expansion, but there's been nothing yet. I'm really thinking she wasn't bent due to the fact that the medics didn't hurry her off (she spent over an hour in the ambulance before they even left). If anyone hears anything, feel free to share. My thoughts and prayers go out to her, and I hope she is okay.

My first thought would be an embolism, but that can be more life threatening than being bent. As they didn't seem to be in a hurry to get her anywhere, I would assume (A S S * U * ME) that she's fine and just took her to the hospital for a check up. Particularly to make sure she doesn't have any fluid in her lungs probably. Near drowning victims have been known to fall over dead just hours after their incident because fluid (water) in their lungs doesn't allow them to absorb the oxygen they need to sustain life. This is all speculation though. I know nothing of the incident other than what you provided.

amascuba:
My first thought would be an embolism, but that can be more life threatening than being bent. As they didn't seem to be in a hurry to get her anywhere, I would assume (A S S * U * ME) that she's fine and just took her to the hospital for a check up. Particularly to make sure she doesn't have any fluid in her lungs probably. Near drowning victims have been known to fall over dead just hours after their incident because fluid (water) in their lungs doesn't allow them to absorb the oxygen they need to sustain life. This is all speculation though. I know nothing of the incident other than what you provided.

I hope she's alright, but those are what my thoughts were too.

The medics wouldn't have stuck around for a bit if they were concerned about AGE or barotrauma. It's not likely that she got bent as they were only in <30 ft of water for probably 45 min at max w/o a surface interval.

I bet she panicked, spit her reg out when she bolted and swallowed water on the trip to the top. I hope she's ok, and that she'll follow through with the class and get certified.

My husband was out there and he had heard she had a pretty bad sinus squeeze but nothing major and everything they did was as a precaution. She bolted on a mask skill.

Are you Andrew? He said he talked to someone diving sidemounts named Andrew who said he knew me from Scubaboard.

Hey Pville, as much as I'd like to meet you sometime, it wasn't me you met, as I was at Jimmy Buffet last night. As for the young women, I just happened to be talking to her instructer at the shop today while getting my tanks filled. Turns out she was diagnosed with a reverse squeeze not DCS. Always the better the better of two evils. I'm thinking of diving sometime tomorow, want to meet for the first time again?

When I was certified, the instructor stood on my fins during the mask clearing and reg recovery to prevent that type of bolting. Is that not standard? Seems like getting hold of the student before the drill could prevent these types of incidents (bolting resulting in AGE).

Wait, I'm getting more and more mixed up... it was Willie, and I was three sheets to the wind last night. And, no, debra, I wasn't diving side mounts, I was helping out with the DUI stuff, and dove once with the dry suit. Although, I really want that silent submerge he was playing with.

Back
Top Bottom