Wind effects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering what effects wind is having on diving down in the Keys? This weekend the forecast is for 15-20 knot winds, which sound pretty bad and with the temperature only being in the low 70's, it sounds downright cold!

Is this limiting where dive ops are going right now, or does it simply sound worse than it is? Can you dive the big wrecks in conditions like this, or is everyone limited to the inner reefs?

TIA

The wind will drive the seas... yes. Check the Marine Forecast at http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/GM/052.html for up to date forecasts.

Most ops will go out in up to 3-5' seas... Many will bail out in 4-6' seas... check with your dive op.

DiveMe:
I'm wondering what effects wind is having on diving down in the Keys? This weekend the forecast is for 15-20 knot winds, which sound pretty bad and with the temperature only being in the low 70's, it sounds downright cold!

Is this limiting where dive ops are going right now, or does it simply sound worse than it is? Can you dive the big wrecks in conditions like this, or is everyone limited to the inner reefs?

TIA
15-20 isn't that bad, unless it's out of the South. And 70 isn't that cold, unless you're not wearing adequate exposure protection. I saw a couple of divers out there yesterday without wetsuits... talk about tough!

We're rarely limited in WHERE we can go. It's more a matter of IF we can go. The current forecast looks like a go to me.

Load a drybag with a towell and fleece pullover and/or dive parka/windbreaker, and you're good to go! Add a hood to your wetsuit if you get cold easily. Enjoy!

I hear that any east winds are bad and you say the south can you give me your reasoning as it would help me when i go to the reef on my boat.
Thanks

deeper thoughts:
I hear that any east winds are bad and you say the south can you give me your reasoning as it would help me when i go to the reef on my boat.
Thanks
It's not so much reasoning, as it is experience. In my experience here in Key Largo, things get UGLY out there when the wind blows over 20 out of the East, over 15 out of the South, over 20 out of the West, and over 25 out of the North. Take five knots off of any of those, and it's usually pretty darn NICE!

Of course, we also have to take into consideration what the wind has been doing up until any point in time. If it blows 30 all night long, then suddenly drops to 10 in the morning, it's not going to suddenly be nice. All that energy still has to be dissipated. Someone who better understands the physics of wind and waves could probably explain the effects of duration and fetch, and improve on the above rule-of-thumb.

Meanwhile, I hope this helps!

Thanks Brent, it's very helpful. Sounds like the waves are going to be marginal outside the inner reef as well...combination doesn't sound promising for diving. Think I'll stick to diving in the Keys in the late spring/summer.

Out of curiosity Brent, have you been getting out to the Grove lately? What have the conditions on her been?

thank you

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom