Wilton, Maine, USA.Lake diving fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muckle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
See:
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/2916196.shtml

I know the victim, and I am a customer of the shop she co-owned. I have dived with all the people involved. She died yesterday. Her husband was my SSI Stress & Rescue instructor.
I was not at the scene. I have spoken to one of the rescuers, and to a non-diver who spoke to another rescuer. It appears that the victim experienced an out-of air emergency. It appears she arrived at the entry alone, planning to join a group already in the water, swam out to join them, descended, ascended, struggled at the surface, and went under again. The newspaper report is not quite accurate, particularly the boat operator's seeing a stream of bubbles and directing divers to her. Actually, she was found by a pair of divers (I spoke with one) who did not know she was lost. They literally bumped into her, unconcious, on the bottom at 23 feet. Vis was 3-4 feet or less in the muck at lake bottom. I heard second-hand (from a non-diver who spoke to a rescuer) that her tank valve was closed.
My belief is that she failed to turn her tank valve on, or may have turned it on, then off. Probably in a hurry (people waiting in the water for her). No buddy at the entry to double-check, likely over-weighted (wearing no neoprene, just a skin.). This woman had been certified for at least 5 years.
Even more tragically, the group was performing a sort of "dive-in" as a fund-raiser for the teen-aged son of a local diver (not present), the son having been recently diagnosed with luekemia. The victim's daughter was killed in a motorcycle crash three years ago last month.
I haven't posted here before. I guess I'm posting this to clarify my thoughts, to remind myself that I can't allow myself to rush in prepping for a dive, even a supposedly cake-walk dive like this was supposed to be.

That is truly a tragic story. As meak and helpless as it may sound, my prayers go out for the family & friends of the diver and those involved. So sorry to hear this.

Very tragic,,,,thoughts are with the family and shop community.

Wow, that really sucks! My condolences to the family.

I am one of the paranoid who turns his tank on then makes sure my buddy checks even though I know I turned it on.

Wow. RIP. My thoughts for her husband and family.

How aweful. My sincere condolences to friends and family and to everyone who was in her diving party and experienced this fatal tragedy.

As I'm reading your description of the event and the article, I have a few questions. In the interest of finding out what happened (so that it may be prevented in the future), I'm going to go ahead and ask. I'm not sure these questions can be answered, but here they are:

1. You mentioned that she swam to the point of descent. Was there air in her BC at this point? Unless she manually inserted air into her BC before entering the water (assuming that her air was turned off before entry), I would have expected her to have trouble as soon as she got into deep water if her air was completely turned off.

2. She struggled at the surface after her descent and then ascent. This is someone who had been diving for 5 years. If she had recently just manually inflated her BC (assuming *1), I wonder that she didn't do it at this time. This may easily be attributable to panic and gasping for air.

Just trying to learn from this horrible incident.

Very sad. Good reason to practice skills. Also gear should be set up so that you can reach all your equipment including your tank valve. Practice all types of emergencies. Jumping in with a tank valve shut off is not uncommon. Although I myself have never done that, I have splashed in with my argon bottle turned off. Suit squeeze can be fun.

When I am down enjoying my dives I am always conducting "What if(s)" in my mind, constantly. But who knows, we all react differently in emergecies. I would like to think that I would not panic but even I am not sure.

Radio Flyer:
Good questions, and I can't answer them. I'm told (by a rescuer) her weights were in gear pockets (not droppable), and that the tank valve was indeed closed. I may have the "swimming out on surface" part wrong. It doesn't all quite add up in my mind either. Maybe the BC was not inflated much, and she tired quickly from trying to stay up?

Thanks Muckle. What a tragedy. So sad...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom