Will you leave the World a better place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
I really dont think it was that rude to keep driving, its not like anyone was hurt.

This thread was started to share things you've done to help others. You choose to share an experience where you laughed at someone while they we having a pretty crappy day. Sure, no one was hurt and I'm sure the tree was fine. I just wander why you choose to mention that in this particular thread.

Well, can't really remember why...maybe I was trying to point out that there are several times in each of our lives where we could of or should of helped out, but dont. You make a good point though. Maybe I should of rattled off some more decent things I have done in my life, but instead I chose to point out that we all need improvement.

jepuskar:
Well, can't really remember why...maybe I was trying to point out that there are several times in each of our lives where we could of or should of helped out, but dont. You make a good point though. Maybe I should of rattled off some more decent things I have done in my life, but instead I chose to point out that we all need improvement.

Honestly, I they we about to pick it up like you say, I probably would have done the same. I just thought it was a little ironic given the original topic.

Looking back on some of my posts, sometimes I dont remember why I choose to say some of the things I do. I say what I feel at the time I am posting without much regard to others opinions...ok, well thats not true...if I truly did that, I wouldnt have an account on this board because everything I post is in one way or another edited in my mind before typing it. If people are all gung-ho on something, I enjoy being the person to go against them even if I agree with them...devils advocate, instigator, troll..whatever you want to call it, I like getting people going..some people take it more personal than others.. O-ring for example understands completely. We laugh all the time about the uptight people on the board.

Merry x-mas. Becareful and watch for falling x-mas trees on the road. :)

Jason

One of the things I'm doing to make the world a better place is by not trying to influence my son in his choice of life directions and experiences. Maybe he will come out better than his old man!

Seriously, one way is simply by remaining my cheerful self... greeting others with a smile and a hello (even if I don't know them), sharing my joy in life with others rather than my heartaches and headaches, stopping and talking instead of rushing on to the next "meaningless" activity. By enjoying my life and marveling at the world, I become a better person to interact with others and bring them a more positive side.

On another front I write my newspaper column and produce my videos so others (especially non-divers who can't see it firsthand but need to know) will better understand our undersea world and protect it for future generations.

With all my best fishes for a wonderful holiday season to all!

Dr. Bill

One of the little things I did this year was start this thread ( insert evil grin) and start people talking about more than just diving and what the latest gadget or technique is.

Every time people stop and reflect about what they do in life and how it effects other people we all win. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone who replied to this thread and to all the people of scubaboard.

i remember years ago when someone did something for me and i went to pay him but he refused payment but instead gave methis old coin and told me that when i did something for someone to pass the coin on and tell them to do the same for someone..as long as that coin was in someones hand meant that someone was doing something for someone..3 years ago the coin came back to me and it was wonderfull knowing that all that time someone was helping someone else..i still have it to this day..its an old faded buffalo nickel..faded but full of memories im sure..i wish to leave this earth knowing that i made a difference in someones life if just for a moment..i believe that all of us can make a difference..sometimes we do and dont know it..may the lord above be with you all during this holiday season and keep you safe..

I had a Cynical, Smart-A$$ remark lined up for this thread, but instead, I'll tell you about my day.

In the black humor of the firehouse, we often count the "shooting days" rather than the "shopping days" 'til Christmas. This evening my crew and a medic unit crew did CPR on a 45yo woman. She had a history of alcohol and drug abuse. Turns out her "boyfriend" has been raping her for several weeks by taking advantage of her after she had passed out. She found out about it from her roommate this morning. Tonight she literally partied herself to death. Someone finally noticed that not only was she passed out, but she had stopped breathing. Fortunately for us and her, someone removed this woman's 13yo daughter from the room as we arrived. The roommate is carrying a huge load of guilt for not doing anything to stop the abuse before.

OK, so now the whole crew is pretty much depressed. BUT - all day they have been looking forward to visiting our "Christmas Family." Every year each fire station adopts a family with kids whose circumstances restrict their ability to provide much of a celebration. This year one of the Engineers I work with has a mom who works in some sort of church outreach program. She somehow came in contact with a young mom who had recently escaped a physically abusive husband. The kids are a 3yo boy and 7yo girl. Our union pitches in $100 and the rest is up to us. We took up a collection from everyone who works at the station, got a local grocery store to donate a $25 gift card. An indoor water park donated 3 entry passes. Individuals in the station went out and bought toys and a bunch of grocery staples. A guy from another station had just bought a bunch of new dishes, so gave the old ones (which were quite nice) to our station. Turns out this family had about 3 plates, ate cereal from tupperware and recycled paper cups for drinks. We made a pretty decent set of matching dishes from the donated stuff. We got the Battalion Chief to bring by some plastic fire helmets. The guys had a blast wrapping the stuff between runs today.

At 9pm, we piled everything onto the heavy rescue truck, put the water tender out of service so the engineer could come with us and piled in. The kids were absolutely thrilled and mom was overwhelmed to the point of tears. She commented that she works so hard, but still doesn't even make enough money to pay the rent some months, so doing extra for Christmas was not an option. We let the kids each open one gift - they each randomly picked the one toy each had said they wanted! We sang "We Wish You A Merry Christmas," bundled the kids up and let them climb in the truck for a few minutes. Hugs all around and more tears from mom.

Even an ol' Cynic like me felt good about that, so maybe - just maybe - I was able to make one person's world better tonight...um....I mean last night.

While taking the risk of seeming to agree with jepuskar :) I do think that all "unselfish" deeds are in some way selfish. I may donate money to charity or join a voluntary organization where there is no tangible repayment for the resources I provide but if I do it to "feel good", is that not a form of payment and as such making the "unselfish" gesture selfish? I do some of this and if it makes you (or me) feel better about myself as you´re helping others then please continue! but portraying it as unselfish seems a bit dishonest to me...
All deeds are ultimately selfish but some deeds are good nevertheless and do make someones world a better place...so please, indulge yourselves in the selfishness of giving :)

I can see where you come from grazie, but I can't quite agree with your assessment. By definition, "Selfishness (noun) a concern for one's own welfare at the expense of or in disregard of others". The fact that someone feels good for doing something nice for someone else does not fit this definition. So while someone may get rewarded for doing something good, even if it's that you feel good yourself, it doesn't make the act a selfish one. My opinion.
mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom