Will there be diving in the Philippines this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He will be retaining his U.S. citizen status while making Dumaguete his retirement residence. He was required to deposit $10,000 with a local bank.

Is your friend a Filipino citizen or passport holder? Just curious.

Is your friend a Filipino citizen or passport holder? Just curious.

At this point, The Philippines is now allowing Work Visa, Retirement Visa, and Spousal Visa holders to enter the country (subject to testing and quarantine of course). Travelers must already be holding the visa before entering the country, there is no option to arrive then process or receive visas after arrival.

He will be retaining his U.S. citizen status while making Dumaguete his retirement residence. He was required to deposit $10,000 with a local bank.

That sounds like a Special Residential Retirement Visa or SRRV.

As of right now, SRRVs are not being issued and holders of them are not allowed back into the country unless they have a Philippine spouse or dependent or are former citizens.

They are also only issued in the Philippines and you need to enter on a tourist visa and apply in country.

Here is a link to the up to date travel rules.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/travelrules

Here is a link about the SRRV.

Philippine Retirement Authority

I would advise your friend to verify everything very carefully before he sends any money. The SRRV deposit account can only be opened here in the Philippines.

I will ask him. I see him in a few days

That sounds like a Special Residential Retirement Visa or SRRV.

As of right now, SRRVs are not being issued and holders of them are not allowed back into the country unless they have a Philippine spouse or dependent or are former citizens.

They are also only issued in the Philippines and you need to enter on a tourist visa and apply in country.

Here is a link to the up to date travel rules.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/travelrules

Here is a link about the SRRV.

Philippine Retirement Authority

I would advise your friend to verify everything very carefully before he sends any money. The SRRV deposit account can only be opened here in the Philippines.

I will ask him. I see him in a few days

I checked the PRA web site, they are accepting new applications but you need to make an appointment to the head office in Makati.

Also the $US10,000 deposit option requires that a pension more than $US1,000 per month be deposited in a Philippine bank account, which can only be opened here.

I checked the PRA web site, they are accepting new applications but you need to make an appointment to the head office in Makati.

Also the $US10,000 deposit option requires that a pension more than $US1,000 per month be deposited in a Philippine bank account, which can only be opened here.

Correct. There are additional options with higher deposit amounts that do not require (semi)"fixed income", but bear in mind that these deposits cannot be used, unless to invest in something like a condo. It's like an escrow account. But still, the accounts can only be held in approved banks, which are all local.... so it's not really something that can be done from abroad....

Correct. There are additional options with higher deposit amounts that do not require (semi)"fixed income", but bear in mind that these deposits cannot be used, unless to invest in something like a condo. It's like an escrow account. But still, the accounts can only be held in approved banks, which are all local.... so it's not really something that can be done from abroad....
So let me get this straight... If you deposit $10,000 in a RoP bank and can show a steady income of $1,000 per month then we can retire in the Philippines?

So my friend will be retiring to Dumaguete however he is not in a hurry. He may be getting a work visa first. He told me he is eligible to work there as a dive professional. And soon after moving there he is marrying his Filipina sweetheart. So all 3 boxes checked at some point.

Back
Top Bottom