Will the swell in Monterey be gone by Monday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Bodega Bay, far North of your diving Eden, and as the sun set beautifully on the ocean, large swells began to thunder on our south facing beach. At Salmon Creek State Beach, surfers were enjoying glassy rollers of around 7 feet at 15+ seconds. Wonderful surf conditions, punishing dive conditions. There was virtually zero wind this evening. Our flag at the entry kiosk was laying limp. As I left work at 7:30 PM, stars were bright in the sky.

I will stay by the ocean regardless of wave conditions this weekend, I will just stay out of the water if it is dangerous. This winter coastal summer-like weather is not to be missed and perhaps is an opportunity to take photos topside.

Stay safe all.

Just a quick word for everyone, I was planning on diving this AM but couldn't because of my buddy. The sun is out, the wind is dead and the ocean is flat on the Monterey side. I would definitely be diving if I could. Sorry I can't offer a dive report!

Just in case anybody wants to know how the North Coast (Sonoma County, Bodega Bay) is doing the surf picked up to about 8-10 feet at between 15 and 18 second interval according to my watch as I sat on Bodega Head this morning. Whales were sighted, bird watchers were out and the beaches were packed! A truly stellar day on the beach, but up here the exposed coastal diving was no good.

Doran Beach looked very nice but the red triangle factor keeps all but the most brave and suicidal divers out of the water. I have seen scuba classes working the jetty at Doran but not often. Three white shark sightings at Salmon Creek in the last several weeks has even the surfers a bit nervous. State Parks issued an advisory and told water recreaters to keep watch for white sharks.

I'm eager to hear more reports about visibility and conditions in Monterey.

K i dont think that report was very acurate!! cause i just go back from monterey yesterday and it was dead!! no swell! no surge no nothing!! it was amzing!! breakwater and lovers both had 30-50ft of vis and calm as could be!!!...and the sea life was out and about!! saw 2 Angel sharks...could have been the same one though haha and as always sea lions etc....if you have the time go dive monterey!! its worth the drive and even the overnight stay right now!! but hey when is it not!! a bad day of diving is better than a good day at work!!

Happy Bubbles

Wow, conditions sound very doable... Anyone want a buddy for tonight or tomorrow? I sent a PM to OP...:D

Back
Top Bottom