Will TDI shift to new cave training model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple thoughts on this...

Every diver is different and has different goals and limitations.

I don’t want to see the cavern cert go away completely. I see a lot of OW/AOW divers that say “I will never cave dive”, that go straight to the back of the Ginnie Ball Room, or the bottom of Blue Grotto as if it were no big deal. Over the years we have seen fatalities where OW divers venture past the daylight zone and get disoriented or lost. There IS a place for a recreational level cert to improve the safety of divers who are going to be in or near the overhead, but NOT necessarily destined for additional cave training. The existing cavern training fits this model well. It’s not too intimidating as to scare off a typical AOW diver and is a great tool to make them a better overall diver.

Now, for that diver that’s already got “the bug”, and wants to be a cave diver.... I have some additional thoughts.

Gaining experience at the cavern level, is still a pretty good model, but might not be best for all divers. For example someone who is already an experienced technical diver, and has solid buoyancy and trim already figured out. (Yes, I have seen divers like this).
I will also add divers that have the time and commitment level to be diving a lot in this environment. For these folks, I think the current Intro rules (6ths w no jumps) is way to limiting for most to really gain experience, and be satisfied for any extended period.

The Intro limits of 1/6ths and NO nav / jumps (& no deco), seems to lead to one of two eventualities:
1) they jump to apprentice/full cave way too soon, just so they can avoid the limits of basic/Intro. For example: getting checked in at Ginnie Springs. You don’t get the discounted entry fee, and have to check in with a buddy present when you don’t possess a full cave cert. Even just that ~$10/day break on the entry fee can add up if you dive a lot. And let’s face it, nobody likes wearing the wrist band with “Intro” written on it.

Or
2) They just become rule breakers. And before you bring out the tar & feathers, I can tell you that I see far more rule breakers, than most want to admit. Whether it’s diving 1/6ths (plus a little), because you are diving with a full cave buddy, and feel ashamed to turn the dive.. or decide to dive past the Triangle at Little River (yes, that’s a nav decision). I won’t go on beyond that, but I can tell you there is actually a fair amount of peer pressure for an active “Intro” diver to break rules.

If I was starting over (from AOW), I think. The first step of cavern should remain, and is a good chance for self evaluation as well as a way for Instructors to gauge readiness to move ahead.
Once you are committed to diving past the “Sign”, I want to be trained to dive to 1/3rs with at least one Nav decision and (very) limited deco. I would add a penetration limit to 1/3s as well as emphasis that 1/3rds is a max for high flow, and further conservatism is often warranted. *you can get pretty darn far into Peacock with 1/3s of double 108s going into the peanut tunnel.

As someone that is on the cusp of upgrading from Cavern to NSS Apprentice, I find having a cavern cert to provide little value toward moving forward to cave. There are so few people that have a cavern that want to practice things like running lines. The people that are serious about moving to cave often just blow right past it.

Sure I can practice the land drills on my backyard, but I don't find that as valuable as land drills are so much easier that making sure that the line stays on about an inch of the rock suitable for a placement.

About the only value that cavern provides is that I can practice with light in Devil's or the FL State Parks, though IME if you look like a cave diver, and talk like a cave diver no one actually asks if you are a cave diver. The only people who are asked to see their band (at Ginnie) or cards (at the state parks) are the clearly open water divers trying to enter with lights.

NAUI and NSS both have shifted to eliminate Cavern and combine Intro with Apprentice into one course and allow graduates to penetrate to 1/3 of doubles. Will TDI follow suit?
NAUI did not eliminate Cavern, it is still a prerequisite for Cave 1 (1/3s, two nav decisions) which is followed by Cave 2 (gets into deco so need Tech1 or equivalent as prerequisite + 20 dives at Cave 1 level).

NAUI did not eliminate Cavern, it is still a prerequisite for Cave 1 (1/3s, two nav decisions) which is followed by Cave 2 (gets into deco so need Tech1 or equivalent as prerequisite + 20 dives at Cave 1 level).

Prior to January 2019, Cavern was not a requirement for NAUI Cave 1. You can confirm this yourself if you look at your old S&P's. It was added in for a year, but it's being removed moving forward. Intro to Tech will still be a pre-req for NAUI Cave 1.

NAUI Cavern will be mirroring many aspects of the NSS-CDS Cavern program -- basically it's a recreational single tank safety course that is not part of the cave diver curriculum. If you want to dive twin cylinder configurations (doubles/sidemount) within an overhead, you'll need to enroll in a cave program.

Prior to January 2019, Cavern was not a requirement for NAUI Cave 1. You can confirm this yourself if you look at your old S&P's. It was added in for a year, but it's being removed moving forward. Intro to Tech will still be a pre-req for NAUI Cave 1.

NAUI Cavern will be mirroring many aspects of the NSS-CDS Cavern program -- basically it's a recreational single tank safety course that is not part of the cave diver curriculum. If you want to dive twin cylinder configurations (doubles/sidemount) within an overhead, you'll need to enroll in a cave program.
You’re right, Into to Tech + EAN (and 75 logged dives) are prerequisites for Cave 1, not Cavern.

As long as all caverndives I know are guided dives and in Europe we don't have real caverns (or if there is a cavern, it can be gone a few hours later), cavern is not really a wanted or usefull cert, so cavern is not really teached here (or only to make money). With intro only, within 5 dives every diver goes over its certification limits. Gaining experience means: go to 1/3 or jump, or take trimix. You can disagree, but it is what I see. If people start cavediving: You already see here or only intro, or the complete path to full cave in 1 teached. So with dropping cavern, nothing will change. And for a lot of divers combine intro and full cave is a good option if you are already an experienced technical diver (I am still happy I did that, intro would be too limited for me also within 2 dives).

Maybe cavern can stay for recreational divers, but not as first step in technical cave diving. To drop it completely, I don't think this is a good idea for the divers who don't know if they like cavediving. Then cavern can be a usefull course to learn what you have to do when cavediving and what the risks are, but you are not sure if you really want to do it.

To dive 1/3 you need and a team of 3, and full cave or naui cave1, and brains on how to use it safe. Or dive single tank, as some agencies then say 1/3 is applied.

NAUI and NSS both have shifted to eliminate Cavern and combine Intro with Apprentice into one course and allow graduates to penetrate to 1/3 of doubles. Will TDI follow suit?

but it's being removed moving forward. Intro to Tech will still be a pre-req for NAUI Cave 1.

Cavern is still there, as Ken mentioned the config for cavern has been changed to allow single tank (as per the Jan 2020 standards revision). As of writing this, Cavern is still a prerequisite for Cave 1

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 13.21.27.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom