Will my digital camera work underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a DSC-W30, about a year and a half old.

What housing were you looking at, because my initial search did not yield a Sony or an Ikelite housing that would fit the DSC-W30? The only one I found was a Sony Sports Pack, but it is not intended for diving and is only rated to 10 feet of depth.

What housing were you looking at, because my initial search did not yield a Sony or an Ikelite housing that would fit the DSC-W30? The only one I found was a Sony Sports Pack, but it is not intended for diving and is only rated to 10 feet of depth.

The one shown in my link is good for that camera and is good to 130'

The one shown in my link is good for that camera and is good to 130'

According to the Sony Website, that camera only appears to be compatible with the Sony Marine Sports Pak (SPK-WA):

Sony | For Business | DSC-W30

Furthermore, on the information page for the Sony Underwater Housing (MPK-WB), the Sony DSC-W30 is not listed as a compatible camera:

SonyStyle.com | Marine Pack MPK-WB

I'm not saying that the camera may not work with that housing, but there appears to be no reference indicating that fact.

I did find some stores selling the Sony MPK-WA Underwater Housing, which does indicate, "Designed for Cyber-Shot W Series Digital Cameras." However, I can't find any reference to it on the Sony Website, so it may be discontinued, yet still in inventory in some stores.

Sony MPK-WA Cyber-Shot Marine Pack. Best Buy on Sale: Sony MPKWA - Compare Prices, customer and user reviews, Features, Accessories, Specifications

However. I'm finding other stores indicating the MPK-WA is for specific certain cameras:

"Sony MPK-WA Marine Pack for DSCW1/W5/W7 Digital Cameras"

Sorry, but I'm not sure if it will fit theDSC-W30 or not?:confused6

Reading a couple of reviews on the DSC-W30, it doesn't look like you can manually white balance. This, for me anyway as a rank amateur, is a pretty important feature that will make a huge difference to any photos that don't involve a strobe.

Since an underwater case is a pretty hefty investment on its own, maybe you want to "upgrade" your camera now, rather than later (and have to buy two cases!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom