Will it be enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark Eternal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im doing my first coldish water dive this weekend. Ive always been in 70 degree plus water and been fine in a 3mm. This weeked the water will be more like 58-60 degrees. I have a 5/3 hood and 3mm gloves ill use. Will a 3mm with a 3mm shorty over it be enough or should I look into renting a 7mm full suite? I know everyone handles cold water different, generally I dont mind it when other people around me are cold - but ive never been in that cold of water.....

I would rent the 7.

You will not enjoy a full length dive dipping into the 50's in what you describe.

Im doing my first coldish water dive this weekend. Ive always been in 70 degree plus water and been fine in a 3mm. This weeked the water will be more like 58-60 degrees. I have a 5/3 hood and 3mm gloves ill use. Will a 3mm with a 3mm shorty over it be enough or should I look into renting a 7mm full suite? I know everyone handles cold water different, generally I dont mind it when other people around me are cold - but ive never been in that cold of water.....

Like yourself, I don' particularly mind the cold. I did my first cold water dive a two weeks ago in a 3 mm farmer john (that's 6 mm at the core) with a 1.5 mm hood and 5 mm gloves and boots and was quite comfortable. The water was 59 F at 40 ft and I was down for 45 min. Hope that helps.

When I did my open water dives, there was a woman walking around who kept saying I don't dive 55. I didn't at the time understand what she meant. I found out al little later exactly what she meant.

At the time I was diving a 7mm farmer john that was way too warm. However my wife and daughter were cold in basically the same thing. If you can check and see if you can rent a 5 mm hyperstretch and wear the 3mm under it. You will be plenty comfortable.

How long do you plan to be in the water? If for any decent amount of time (over 20min) or if doing multiple dives in the same day, I'd go w/ a 7mm. You may be able to handle it layering your 2 suits, but the 7mm should keep you toasty.

I would definitely go for the 7mm. Be comfortable, you want to have fun when you dive and if you're cold you may be not having as much fun as you can.

You will want the 7mm. There is a huge difference between 70 degree water and 55-60.

The 7mil has it!

Everyone is different of course but I wouldn't dive below 70 without my dry suit if that tells you anything. 55 is cold. It makes 70 feel like Bonaire in September.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom