Will I be disappointed with the front side of Molokini?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have reservations for the front side of Molokini, should I change it to the backside? What are the apparrent differences?

Thanks,
Caymaniac:rolleyes:

Which is considered the crater side? Front or back?

Hi

In my opinion you will be not disapointed, the front side has beautiful places too such as Reefs End. BTW, try to change one dive for the backside.

You really should try to do both sides. If you are only able to do one dive it is a push. Advantages to both front and back side.

Rich

Had to dig my log book out, we dove the Molikini in 96.

I logged two sites as "back wall" and "crater side" so i guess the crater is considered "front."

As logged, the most remarkable part of the back side was the wall. It drops down to about 300 feet and is the only real vertical wall in the area, we were told. Whale song was on for the whole dive, which is really cool.

As logged i liked the crater side much better. More to see: Morays, Black Tip Sharks, whale song louder for some reason, several fish indigenous to only Hawaii.

Both nice dives but i liked the crater side better

caymaniac once bubbled...
I have reservations for the front side of Molokini, should I change it to the backside?
The crater is great for snorkling... and scuba too... but the stuff you will see there... you could see on shore dives on Maui.

There is only one place to experience the back wall of Molokini.

with all do respect, i would feel bad for anyone that doesn't enjoy the inner dive @ Molokini. We were there in Sept 02, and will return in May 03 ... the crater was great in Sept ... saw loads of fish, many indiginous to HI, a handful of sharks, an octopus, more than you count eels (moray, spotted, snowflake, etc), sea-snakes, sea-worms .... visibility was at least 150 ft. Unfortunately, we didnt have time to dive the back wall in Sept.

This May we'll definatley hit the crater again, and plan on diving the back wall as well. From what i understand they are two total different dives, both equally impressive for what they uniquely are.

When will you be there BTW? have fun

The crater acts to focus the whale song on the front side and so the whale is much louder inside the crater.

The backside is the only wall drift dive around, but there is quite a lot to see on the inside including Mantas, white tips and numerous eels.

The crater is fine but the back wall makes magazines. We've done the backwall 3 times so far this trip and plan to do it at least twice more.

They are quite different though. The inside dives are more like any other reef dive in Maui. The back wall is a 250+' almost vertical wall.

A good compromise is to do Reef's End -- the dive starts from a mooring ball in 50', then you move outside for a drift along the wall, followed by a live boat pickup. The back wall dives start with a live drop in 300' water.

My favorite inside-the-crater dive is Center Reef. Lots of coral, lots of texture, with most of the reef being one huge maze of 3' deep by 1' diameter nooks and crannys with lots of life tucked down inside. One advantage of the inside dives vs. shore dives is you will almost always have super viz at Molokini because it is in deep water in the channel and you don't get any runoff to reduce viz.

Back
Top Bottom