Will Anilao satisfy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are doing a quick 5 days of diving in September in the Philippines.
We do like macro, but wonder if there is a better destination that might mix in a bit of pelagic action along with macro. We do need to stay close to Manila due to the short time frame.
Thanks for any suggestions!

MORE THAN Satisfy!
Sept is a bit early for the big pelagics, (Whale sharks, Manta's) but possible.
Macro? YES!!!
You're in for a great time!!!

Been there about 5 times over the past few years. Macro and small critters will be very good, but honestly, seeing anything bigger than 2ft would b e very unusual most of the year. Also think about Dumaguete, Bohol, and Malapascua.

I went to Anilao because I only had 4 days in the Philippines. It's only a 2-3 hour drive from the Manila airport (so no worries about weather, ferry schedules, and making flights out), and I thought the diving was great! More macro but also a swarm of jacks, eels, dolphins...

Anilao for macro? yes but for pelagics . . . just don't set your expectations high. Although schooling barracudas is almost guaranteed at mainit point where if you're lucky, you might also be able to spot turtle or a black tip shark especially during weekdays when there's not much divers around which usually drives away said pelagics. If I may suggest, you might want to also include in your plans a dusk dive at fortune island where there is a great possibility of spotting some mantas, although i myself am not sure if September is the best season to spot the same as I myself haven't been there yet and that this would involve separate planning as Fortune Island is several hours of boat ride away if you'll be staying in one of the resorts in Anilao. But probably some of the members here who is more knowledgeable can add some inputs on the matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom