Will a wet undergarment really keep you warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JcoldwaterIL

Reaction score
A few feet from the beaches of lake Michigan
Ive read that some drysuit undergarments will keep you warm even if your suit floods. does anyone have any experience with this? I'm sure a slow flood would be better than a fast flood as far as having an undergarment that keeps you warm while wet, but will it really work? And if it does work, to what extent at what temperatures? Anyone have any expereince with this?

Well, I spent about 30 minutes in water between 48 and 50 degrees with a completely soaked undergarment (water pooled in my boots). I was cold, but I wasn't even shivering until I got out of the water. That was in a Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit, with a 200g Thinsulate vest over it. I was very, very impressed and very grateful that the undergarment kept a badly leaking neck seal from causing an accident.

Hi Lynne

Nice to meet Peter and you at Lobos. Kathy and I are hoping to see you next year when we check out Port Townsend.

Is that the Thinsulate extreme? How cold is the water up that way anyway? Did you need the vest at Lobos?

When learning to dive dry in 14-16C / 55-60 F water I would end up with boots full of water (often half way up the calves) but not notice this until I surfaced and tryed to get out of my suit. During such dives I remained warm.

I was diving polypro undies, a flectalon 100 undersuit and crushed neo drysuit (the later two by Northern Diver). Neoprene suits keep you warmer should you have a leak.

Not ever had a complete flood - knock on wood.

Cheers,
Rohan.

This was the Diving Concepts 200g non-stretch Thinsulate jumpsuit, with the CF of 2.4, I think.

Our water ranges from the mid 50's in the summer to the mid 40's in the winter. I think the coldest I saw last year was 46. Lobos seemed pleasantly warm to me at 59 degrees! I wore my vest anyway; I've never been too WARM underwater.

Brian, be sure to let me know when you are coming up! I'd love to go up and dive Port Townsend with the two of you.

I"ve had good luck soaked with thinsulate as well. The stuffing is sort of a wax type filament, which is cool b/c it tends to let water bead on the fibers instead of soaking through, but on the other hand it melts in high temperatures such as a dryer and ruins its insulating properties.

JcoldwaterIL:
Ive read that some drysuit undergarments will keep you warm even if your suit floods. does anyone have any experience with this? I'm sure a slow flood would be better than a fast flood as far as having an undergarment that keeps you warm while wet, but will it really work? And if it does work, to what extent at what temperatures? Anyone have any expereince with this?
Drysuit undergarments generally work in one of two ways. Either they "trap air" (or argon) which functions to insulate the diver, or else they use "thermal reflectivity" to reflect the diver's body heat. An example of the first category would be something like a Weezle or a garment made from polarfleece layers. An example of the second category would be thinsulate layers which can look like an aluminum foil laminated to a mylar or other polymer layer, generally sandwiched in between other fabrics.

Conventional wisdom (which can either be considered true or urban myth debunked, depending on the diver's susceptibility to cold, how cold the water truly is, and how long the decompression obligation is that requires the diver to remain submerged regardless or risk a hit that might put them in a wheelchair) holds that in cases where the diver who tears a seal in cold water but has mandatory deco to do should dive with a thinsulate undergarment. The rationale is that a flooded drysuit with an undergarment that requires loft to insulate the diver will, once that undergarment is flooded, lose that loft and hence will no longer offer any thermal protection to the diver.

In contrast, a thinsulate undergarment that reflects the diver's body heat back inward should in theory - even if the suit floods - continue to reflect at least a portion of the diver's body heat, thereby retaining at least some of its thermal protective properties.

In reality, hypothermia will kill the diver just as quickly as a DCI hit given too long a mandatory deco obligation with a flooded suit in extremely cold water. Given too many extremes, it likely doesn't matter what sort of undergarment the diver is wearing.

Still, it very well may be true that in moderately cold water a diver with a considerable deco obligation and a flooded suit may be significantly better off with a thinsulate undergarment. (We're not talking here about a recreational diver who, despite a slow leak in their suit, can continue their dive awhile and then get out of the water whenever they become uncomfortable. Instead we are referring to a situation where the diver MUST stay in the water due to a substantial mandatory decompression obligation. My definition of "extremely cold water" would be something in the 30s (fahrenheit) or low 40s. Say Lake Superior, for example.) In terms of experience, my own includes a 40 minute sojourn in a flooded Viking drysuit wearing a Weezle. I redefined my own definition of the word "cold" that day, and when I return to the PNW I will be diving a thinsulate undergarment... :wink:

Your mileage may vary.....

Doc

I've dove with a totally flooded DUI suit during the rally, my Viking thinsulate undergarment kept me warm enough that I honestly didn't know the suit had flooded from head to toe with water in the boots.

Temps that day were in the upper 50's. I felt the initial trickle but due to my diving a Viking with Latex hood and neck seals I routinely feel the cold at the neck, it feels as if you've got a leak but you don't. It's just that there's no insulation there and you can feel the cold where it touches the base of the neck. I felt that in the DUI and should have realized it was water leaking down into the suit from a neck seal.

By the way for those who don't know, you can get a neoprene hood for the Viking suit, I just prefer latex.

So in my book thinsulate does keep you warm when it gets wet. Fleece does not.

I've had my dry suit partially flood a couple of times and my 300g Polartek certainly keeps me comfortable in mid-50's water.

Grey_Wulff

Back
Top Bottom