Will a 10 watt HID cut it in NoCal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astrofunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all -

I'm considering buying a cannister light, mainly so I can take advantage of the passive communication it'll afford. Most of my dives are shore dives in Northern California, so we're talking recreational depths in anywhere from 5' to 50' visibility.

Does anyone have experience with a 10 watt HID under these conditions? Will I be sad that I didn't save my pennies and opt for a 21 watt head?

Thanks for your input!

Best,
Steve

It cuts it in Seattle, so you should be fine. 21W is great but divers on more of a budget seem to do fine with 10W up here. I'm happy with mine and a 21W is way down on the wish list.

There's quite a few of us who dive 10W HIDs in Monterey... It's bright enough to provide communication...

but now if you have teammates with larger lights then the difference might become apparent and might be a little irritating...

Otherwise unless it's really clear and sunny at depth I have mo problems with my 10W

Awesome -- thanks! That's exactly what my wallet wanted to hear.

Incidentally, what brands are you guys using? I have some experience with a borrowed dive rite, but based primarily on good reviews here and elsewhere, I'm currently leaning toward Salvo. I'm interested in your opinions.

Salvo is very popular around Seattle. I can attest to their great customer service too. I had some bad luck and got two dud lights in a row--the ballast died after about 20 hours. It was replaced or repaired under warranty with no hassles.

My LDS guy said he had never seen that happen before, much less twice to one person, and I have never heard a bad word about Salvo on this board.

From what I have read, DR uses a less durable bulb... but my tech-style LDS doesn't even keep Salvo bulbs in stock.

You might also want to look at Sartek, I think they use the same rugged ballast/bulb and they may have a config you like.

Salvo makes a great light ... and their 10W HID is a killer light for the price. Cheng has the 10W fixed-focus light, and I have an older 18W (no longer produced) ... we're quite happy with our respective lights ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Salvo makes a great light ... and their 10W HID is a killer light for the price. Cheng has the 10W fixed-focus light, and I have an older 18W (no longer produced) ... we're quite happy with our respective lights ...

That's good to hear. On that note: what advantage does variable focus offer? I'd be inclined to save $100 and get the fixed-focus head.

And one more thing: do I need to worry about the goodman handle fitting over my cold water gloves?

Thanks for all your feedback!

No problems with the big blue smurf gloves and my Halcyon 10W...

I have he adjustable but frankly I do not touch it at all... when it was new I would play with it but after that novelty wore off I haven't touched it since.

The local gang has almost every variation and brand... you should come out check out what we have...

That's good to hear. On that note: what advantage does variable focus offer? I'd be inclined to save $100 and get the fixed-focus head.

And one more thing: do I need to worry about the goodman handle fitting over my cold water gloves?

Thanks for all your feedback!

I use the adjustable focus all the time. If I am taking the time to look at something, I'll widen the focus so I have more of a floodlight than a hotspot. (This is especially useful at night.) When traveling from place to place, I'll set the focus narrow for better signaling.

Most people say that they don't find themselves using the focus feature, but I sure like it.

Don't worry about the handle, it is adjustable.

I bought a new/used Salvo 10 watt fixed focus (Fixed focus doesn't bother me) for diving the North Coast and it works just fine. Do I wish I had a brighter light?? Well yeah, they are times, but for the amount I paid no, and at some point I have to buy a second one, then I will go with a 21 watt Salvo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom