DIR- GUE Florida Cave 2 course report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buritaani

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
GUE Course reports - a great way to spend time, especially in the midst of a dry spell! Partially motivated by somewhat unusual course circumstances, I present to you a write-up of my first foray into Florida cave diving in the form of a Cave 2 course in July of 2018.

As a bit of background, I've been diving for 10 years and dabbled in GUE since 2012, when I attended a demo day after reading a lot about GUE and DIR online. I took fundies in 2013, upgraded to a tech pass in 2014, and went on to take Cave 1 in Mexico, followed by a week and a half of experience dives. By this time, we had a healthy and sizable GUE community where I was living. As I hail from Finland, where we no natural underwater caves, the environment where I was to apply my skills was cold, flooded mineshafts, often located under frozen ice at the bottom of quarries. Sometimes we also visit Sweden - also to dive flooded mineshafts. Due to family commitments, I cut back on my in-water hours and took a break from cave diving, but attempted to keep the skillset up to date with open water practice. Early in 2018 I decided I wanted to get back in the saddle and resumed diving the Ojamo mine, which offers at the C1 level a few different passages, all at the 28 metre level.

As I had already gained quite a bit of familiarity with the local mine, and had heard great stories about Cave 2, upgrading was naturally on the table ever since 2014... and when a fortuitous opportunity arose, I took it and signed up for a class with Kirill Egorov in High Springs, Florida. I was visiting Florida for a work trip and was able to extend my stay, which of course was beneficial from a financial standpoint, and also allowed me to be well rested instead of jetlagged when the course began. The downside was that none of my regular dive buddies were able to meet my schedule - so I took advantage of what GUE offers, and trusted that whoever else I could entice to join, being already at the C1 level, would be more than enjoyable as a coursemate. A few weeks before the course I was indeed confirmed that I had a buddy, Will, who was familiar with the Florida caves.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
DAY -1

What a week! It's Friday 9PM, and I'm settled at the dining table in a house in High Springs, rural Florida. I've just finished a week at a Panama City Beach resort, where I was attending a work conference. I just finished a load of laundry, the clothes are in the dryer, the fridge has been filled with some basic amenities, and things are looking up for a week and a half of cave diving! I'm staying at the EE guest house, which is a really nice setup, just a short drive from EE and downtown High Springs. There are three rooms, two twins and one king, with the king room apparently empty, and the other three bunks about to be filled some time soon. According to the notes on the doors, Randy and Mike are going to be staying in the blue room, whilst I'll be sharing the red room with Matt, who's arriving tomorrow. For now, though, it's almost eerily quiet, being alone in this big house. The dryer is keeping me company, as are the crickets in the yard.

Due to the conference trip, I had flown to the Northwest Florida Beaches airport, from where I rented a car this afternoon. I had hoped to arrive here already around 5PM, but due to a slow airport shuttle and saying bye to conference friends, I didn't set off until half past one. I of course needed a good rest on the way (it's a 4,5 hour drive), and I had forgotten that I would cross the time zone border as well on the way! Additionally, weather got interesting around the intersections of Interstates 10 and 75, with a torrential downpour limiting visibility drastically. We were all doing about 40 mph in a 70 zone, with emergency lights flashing to help others see us through the rain-wall. All's well that ends well, and I even found a nice grocery store for the first batch of shopping.

Tomorrow I'll meet my coursemate Will for the first time. I signed up for the class earlier this year, when I found out that I could combine a work trip with leisure, and tried to attract other Finns to this course. Sadly, no-one was able to meet my plans, so Kirill opened it up for others, and Will was gracious enough to join. He said he'd be happy to show me some ropes with high flow before we start the course. Tomorrow we'll pack up a car with plenty of double tanks, and hit Ginnie springs for some C1 dives. The primary goal is going to be to practice running the reel in high flow.

The weather has been hot and humid, 32+ degrees centigrade, though the rain cooled things off momentarily. Still, I'm going to sweat a lot during the next week and a half, I'm certain of it. Thank goodness for p-valves and gatorade. I'm still going to use a 200g undergarment despite it being the middle of the summer, as the water is going to be only something like 21 degrees celsius.

I only got 5 cave dives in earlier this year, but they all went quite well. Thus, I'm relatively confident about the course, though I expect to be put through the wringer, and hopefully will emerge a better diver. It'll be nice to learn about complex navigation and stages, but I'm hoping to better myself overall as well. Situational awareness can always be improved, it'll be interesting to see how counting jumps and keeping track of gas will go. And then there's valve failures, which were my weak point during Cave 1, because I don't have Tech 1 training. I'll have to go over my valve failure action notes again, but last time it was clear that my coursemates had learnt it all the way to muscle memory whereas I hadn't. Well, we take courses in order to learn!

Now time for a good night's sleep, with an early rise. EE is only 6 minutes away, but I don't want to be late! :)

Day 0 (Saturday)

I was up early, eager to get going, and of course hadn't slept quite as well as usual. However, our timetable took form in the way that we would have the day to prepare, and would only hit the water in the evening. The dive sites here do not close at 5PM like they do in Mexico - the plan is this still to do 4 C1 dives, setting off from EE at 4PM. I used the day for some rest, re-reading C1 notes, going for a little jog and refuelling the car.

I had plenty of time to look at the maps of Ginnie, and discuss the flow and measures how to deal with it. There are no mainline T's within C1 limits, so it should be simple enough - though of course it's good to be prepared for someone else putting in jumps. Mainly, it should be just learning the flow, as that is something I have really no experience of. Looks like there's a good chance of a thunderstorm again this evening - shouldn't bother us, and will keep temperatures lower. The standard tanks in Florida are104 or 108 cuft, which translate to 16 or 18 litre doubles, depending on your information source. As such, I'll need a bigger wing than usual - Kirill had set one aside for me. It was a nice surprise that it was a 60lbs evolve! It'll be nice to try that instead of a classic horseshoe.

So, we headed over to Ginnie, and it was crazy! It's the weekend before the fourth of July, and the place was a complete party camping ground with lots of spanish covers of pop songs blaring. Lots of people asking us all sorts of questions. Everyone else was in swimming trunks or bikinis, we geared with full drysuits. The temperature was about 30 in the air, about 22 in the water.

We ended up doing three dives, all through Devil's ear. The river water was very dark and tannic, visibility like 1-2 metres, but there was a strong outflow from the ear where water was crystal clear. Will went as number one to show me how to run the reel and navigate the flow at the entry. We ended up doing three dives, as after the third one it was very late and we were feeling tired - surface intervals were quite short. It was hard work going against that flow! I also got to run the reel once and remove it once - it's challenging stuff, compared to the reel running back in Finland, where the mines have zero flow and you're limited to just a few stations. It was past 10 PM when we got back, quite tired even before the course had begun. And my lack of experience with high flow was visible in the condition of my fingertips :)

Day 1 (Sunday)

The course begins! We met up with Kirill at EE at 9 AM. In fact, as it was a Sunday associated with the 4th of July, we were told we won't be diving at all during the first day, as all sinkholes would be either crazy crowded with party people, or if they were good only for diving, crazy crowded with other divers. We did a whole bunch of theory on e.g. gas management - we're happily doing the course mostly in metric, though distances in the cave are still in feet as the arrows are every 100 ft. We then went into the sun and conducted land drills of running jumps. I asked about wearing gloves during the course, and got a firm no as a response. Oh well, I tried! :)

We got off early, with instructions to review regulator failures and responses, and also with instructions to do prep and shopping for the rest of the week. We might also skip diving on Wednesday (July 4th), doing more theory and land drills so we won't need to do land drills or dry runs in the hot humid weather near the sinkholes. Fine with me!

The feel of the course was quite different from Cave 1, as the assumption is that we've all done our homework, kept our skills up to date, and know the basics. In some ways, Cave 1 is the Fundamentals of cave diving, and Cave 2 builds and extends on that stable platform. Kirill's lectures were great to follow, I really enjoyed them.

After experiencing the flow in Ginnie, I thought I'd like to readjust my regs a bit. Due to the year-round cold waters in Finland, I have my intermediate pressure on my Apeks regs set to only 8.5 bar, which usually works fine. If at depth, there's usually some helium in my tanks, which helps. Here, however, using Nitrox 32 and dealing with the flow, I had started to feel the work of breathing, and decided it would be prudent to have an easier breathing reg as my primary for donating as well. As I was about to start adjusting the IP, I got, if you can believe it, an IP pressure creep that just refused to go away. Even replacing the seat didn't work, despite all the innards looking good, and the reg having been serviced only half a year ago. I thus got to dive with a Halcyon first stage, and left my own DS4 to go under extra scrutiny and cleaning in the hopes of salvaging it. A few days later we were indeed happily reunited - a more thorough ultrasonic bath had done the trick.

Day 2 (Monday)

The diving begins! We headed over to Peacock, which is a no-flow cave with nice navigational opportunities. This made me happy and relieved. The entrance, however, is a very steep incline, including going down the chimney pretty much completely vertically head-first whilst running the primary reel. As this was my first time in this cave, it was agreed that Will was #1 (phew!). Our goal was to set up the Nicholson circuit, so that we could complete it on the second dive. Before the actual dive, we did a quick valve and S-drill to make sure it's in order. We entered the cave, which was a bit milky. After 600 yards, we did the first jump and proceeded some of the way into Nicholson tunnel, until we hit turn pressure and dropped a team cookie. The trip back was a classic combination of light failures, repairable and non-repairable regulator failures, and finally a return through the vertical chimney doing a gas sharing exit. Doing a lengthy exit with only oral inflation from a donated longhose is fun! As is standard with GUE courses, you are always kept well aware of what is expected of you, and pushing you outside your comfort zone is kept to the level where learning is efficient instead of stressing you out. This strong learning method is what allowed us to perform this dive and have all these failures dealt with in a correct manner despite having only a few dives together - and actually, we could have done all this on our first dive as well.

The take-home message from our first dive, which we have heard before, is simple. Take it slow. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. We were told to slow our entry speed well below our usual pace, so that we can better appreciate the cave, and take the full required time to perform all steps of operations carefully. After all, we cave dive in order to enjoy the cave, do we not?

The second dive started with me in the lead - I'd been a bit uncomfortable at the surface, and after reaching our reel, decided to thumb it, as my balance was really off. As we discussed it at the surface, it was noted that my second set of doubles was a different manufacturer and heavier. Thus, I got out of the water and now did what Kirill had suggested the previous day, which is extend my shoulder straps a bit to accommodate the tanks better. After that, I felt like a new person, and was really happy to lead the dive. We only lost 10 bar of penetration gas due to this, but it lead to a much better dive. It just goes to show that one shouldn't let problems accumulate and snowball, but rather deal with each problem fully as it arises. We descended, passed our first jump, and proceeded into the cave at a leisurely pace. It was nice to really look around and appreciate the cave. We passed a change of direction, and placed the jump into the Wishbone tunnel. After about 400 yards, we got to the jump to Nicholson tunnel, and I started to my surprise feeling optimistic about perhaps being able to complete the circuit after all!

However, this was not to be - we turned on gas, and were told to gather all our spools and cookies. After removing one jump, a loss of visibility drill was initiated - which ended up lasting the whole 1100 ft across one jump, one change of direction marker, and bypassing our Nicholson tunnel jump, finally bringing us up the chimney as well. Fun! We got feedback that it actually went pretty well. Criticism was placed on trim and not disturbing the cave - the bar is set really high, and the Nicholson tunnel was a good test. We sped up in there due to my excitement, which lead to less observations of the cave shape and looking for the optimal route to proceed. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

We had another early evening, finishing at 5PM after which it was a one-hour drive back to EE to fill tanks. Tomorrow we'll meet at Peacock again at 8 AM, in order to (assumedly) perform a rescue operation for Will's lonely team cookie still in the Nicholson tunnel. This evening we also heard the happy news that British cave divers had successfully located a soccer team which had been trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand, and they reported that everyone was alive after being trapped for 10 days. Wow! Now, however, it's time for bed - it's an early rise again tomorrow.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Day 3 (Tuesday)

The second day of dives saw us returning to Peacock and it's nice formations. We reviewed some additional possible failures and how to deal with them. It was nice how Kirill explained very clearly all the reasoning for the different actions, procedures, and also for how the training event will go. We're always made clear on what is expected of us. And as expected, we would perform a cookie-rescue operation, taking the Nicholson and Wishbone tunnels. We also discussed how sometimes there is no point in extra communication, discussion or troubleshooting steps, as they will either only slow things at a critical time, or potentially even prevent a problem from being fixed. Very enlightning. This dive I would set the primary reel, which gave me a chance to practice that heads-down action. I have great respect for the Florida divers who practice it a lot and make it look like a form of art!

After a nice lengthy debrief, including constructive critique on that line laying, we swapped tanks and prepared for a different part of Peacock - namely, the Peanut tunnel. There would be some changes in elevation, a slightly narrow passage, a breakdown room (this looked awesome!) and a long passage with really neat arch formations and good'n'proper clay on the floor. Our target was again to perform a few jumps and take the crossover tunnel towards Olsen's sink. We had another great opportunity to practice positioning and kicks in less-traveled portions of the cave, and saw that clay really is amazing at reducing visibility. We had an interesting failure-ridden return which also tested again our mental mapping of the cave and the dive, which is an important skill in many ways. This again drills home the message that going in slow, which allows you to appreciate the cave, also allows you to build that necessary mental map.

We had a nice bit of feedback at the surface, where my personal need for improvement is still in forcing myself to better orient my body with the cave, as of course with practicing running the reel and the spool lines. Again, taking things slow and thinking them through is a great piece of advice, but I'm clearly showing my lack of experience with phreatic caves. Granite quarries and mines have totally different structure and features from the amazing Florida underwater world.

We wrapped up at 5 and parted our ways. In the evening my EE housemates Randy and Mike invited me to join them along with Tina and Andrew for a dinner at the Great Outdoors - the food was very nice, and it was wonderful meeting new people! Tina and Andrew are also C2, but with a lot of experience of Florida as they live near Orlando. They're in the region for the weekend, and we preliminarily talked of doing a dive together on Sunday morning! They also host a diving blog called Frogkickers - I had a great time browsing through some of their posts, but steered clear from their C2 report as I wanted to have a pristine experience. Actually, they told me that they deliberately omit quite a few facts, so the blog is spoiler-free - something I've tried to emulate myself with this report.

Day 4 (Wednesday, July 4th, happy America day!)

We started celebrating the stars and stripes by me waving off Randy and Mike as they had to head back home. It was great meeting new nice people, and it sure will be strange being in the sizeable EE house alone after this! At EE, meetup time was at 9AM for another day of theory and (indoor) field practice. This day we covered the topics of decompression and geology+survey. Kirill had made the slides in use, and his passion for the topic really showed - there were some really good insights to be gained to a topic I thought I knew pretty well! We also discussed practical deco strategies, the use of DecoPlanner, and gas switch procedures. Although I have sort of done the GUE gas switch style for quite some time now (despite never having done T1), this was the first time it was actually taught to me. Funnily enough, the first dry run I immediately forgot a critical step, as I was trying to remember the new things which weren't ingrained into me yet! We also discussed stage bottle marking and rigging, and again got some really good pointers and reasonings. I proceeded to rejig my regs after this! After all this, I felt well prepared for oxygen decompression after extended dives in the sub-30 metre range.

I also decided to do a bubble check to my regs as I thought I had some microbubbles last time, and indeed, proceeded to replace my spg hose on my deco reg. Zero points for me for not doing all this properly before the trip! Well, at least I fixed it all after the theory lesson instead of just showing up at the dive site. Microbubbles won't be a big problem, but there's no excuse for not fixing it. In the evening, we had some homework playing around with decoplanner and our wetnotes, plus running dry drills of stage bottle switches. I'll tell you, I did it a few times more than the required 5 :)

After all this, I had some time to check up on some websites and maps, and write down some of my experiences during the course - whilst listening to the 4th of July fireworks going off outside. There are no big fireworks in High Springs itself, but I've heard places like Ginnie Springs will be absolutely crazy... I'm staying safely indoors. Or well, perhaps I'll peek a bit in the yard or something :)

Day 5 (Thursday)

Today we headed over to Little River, which was a beautiful basin with lots of families playing in the water. It's been described to me as the angry teenager compared to the baby of Ginnie Springs, but the flow wasn't too bad today. It's interesting, how every single cave and passage I've been to on this trip has been totally different! Florida really is amazing for cave diving. The morning was actually a bit chilly, I even put on socks and a thin long-sleeved shirt. The afternoon, however, showed a full force of sunshine, and I did kind of regret our car wasn't parked in the shade.

After theory and drills yesterday, today we were to apply oxygen deco to our dives - which was nice, since we were planning bottom times of over an hour, in the flow, with a cave floor at 30 metres. Navigation at Little river is relatively simple, but there's a lot to look at with the nice carved rock formations, impressive shape of the main cave, and dangerous clay banks. We got some good practice at line laying, working in the flow, running jumps and navigating the cave, along with an usual slew of failures. It's nice how the combination of failures each dives is slightly different, and we need to be on our toes all the time, thinking about team resources. During this dive, we also had a second spectator, as Lauren was diving as an external and gave afterwards some nice tips on positioning in the cave.

The second dive was my turn to lead, and it sure feels like the flow had picked up! This dive wasn't as good for me, as I got distracted and forgot the age-old wisdom of slowing down and being lazy. I was enamoured with a "good" opportunity to use flutter kicks, but actually, a pull-and-glide tactic would have been smarter. Well, at least me being narced on CO2 gave us some good learning opportunities - and we still made it out! Finally, on this dive it was Will's turn to be OOG and I got to be the donor. I didn't mind - especially as my tanks had a proper cave fill, all they way to 290 bar in the water...!

With 2 cave 2 dives done, we packed up and drove back to EE for gas fills in preparation for the Friday, when we would be bringing bottom stages along. Afterwards, Will and I enjoyed a nice burger and a beer at the Great Outdoors. It was tasty! I also spent some time looking at cave maps, and was amused to recognise a schematic of Little River from Sheck Exley's Caverns measureless to man. It's really amazing to see the places and sinkholes famous from the internet and classic cave diving books in real life.

If you have the opportunity, I can recommend the 7-day version of Cave 2 - it takes a bit of stress off the days, and having theory during the daytime instead of in the evenings after a long day of diving worked wonders for me. And I can't complain that we were enjoying beers already at 5PM! :) This, however, was a rare special result of the holidays - I guess you might have to pay the instructor some extra if you specifically ask for it.

Day 6 (Friday)

The fourth day of dives took us to another new place - Madison Blue! It had apparently been closed for diving for a while, and opened only recently, so it was a new target for both students. This day also introduced the actual use of bottom stages, with the associated gas calculations and planning. There are different ways to use bottom stages, but all require careful planning. Madison is also a flow cave, but as per the rule of the week, flow was weaker than usual here as well. I heard that the amount of rainfall a region gets affects the flow through the water level of local rivers. As springs flow out into rivers, a really high river water level will increase the hydrostatic pressure, and decrease the outflow speed. Sometimes, springs can even begin to siphon due to this! There is so much to learn about caves in Florida.

Due to the low flow, the visibility in Madison was sadly a bit weak - but it was a beautiful and varied cave nevertheless. The horseshoe room which acts as a sort of antechamber was full of huge silt mounds and quite dark, so locating tieoffs was not trivial. We also got to see some decidedly non-standard markings and jump methods in the cave! It's good to prepared for all sorts of things, as at Cave 2 level one can proceed into the less traveled regions of the caves, and that means the line system isn't as curated. Madison was also a really popular swim spot, with lots and lots of families enjoying the refreshing spring water. We got lots of questions from both adults and children alike - almost always they ask how deep the cave goes, never how far :) I think I was able to provide a few young swimmers with a nice memory, as I happened to fumble and drop my fin (fresh, perhaps a bit too short springs). I asked if they'd be helpful enough to freedive it up for me, and one of them did - her face was quite beaming when I said she'd saved my dive :) Naturally, I posed with the girls for a photo.

Our second dive of the day was also into Madison Blue, but this time via the side entrance called Rabbit hole. Yep, it was kinda cramped, but actually had less flow than the main entrance. We were to practice our jumps again, aiming for the Godzilla room, but alas, that was not to be. Your esteemed author has been working with imperial units of length for the course, and when preparing for the dive, made a mental map where the values of 30 feet, 30 metres, and 100 feet got a bit mixed up. Combine that with non-standard line layout and a tendency to happily go into small and silty cracks, and I ended up not taking the jump we were meant to... Be careful with those map scales! Well, it's another lesson learned, methinks. After recalculation, we proceeded along the main line, and after we had thumbed and turned back, I saw Kirill grin and rub his hands together in anticipation of unleashing a most ingenious array of failures on us! :)

Day 7 (Saturday)

It was the final day of our course, another hot and humid day. Still, I gotta say that the weather during the whole week had been nowhere as bad as I had expected! Rainshowers bring the temperature down quite a bit, there's plenty of air conditioning available, and the cave water temperature is a constant pleasant 21 degrees or so. Interestingly, I heard it was thought that the weather was too hot even for mosquitoes - we saw comparably few. Though today did bring out quite a few spiders. Will was telling us about the different colouring patterns and mnemonics on which ones will kill you. I was happy to just keep a distance to all spiders after we spotted a black widow in it's web attached to one of the railings. Our site was once again Peacock, as it was a site where rowdy southeners wouldn't come to get absolutely wasted (it was a hot summer Saturday, after all). What was absolutely baffling was that no other divers came to that side of Peacock during the whole day!

The final day consisted of quite long dives, as we wrapped up the rest of the requirements of the course including a number of in-water drills. Kirill has a great way of teaching, which also hilights all the different ways in which situational awareness and memorizing the cave becomes important. We had some open water and cavern drills, and two cave dives which included drill time, totalling over 4,5 hours. After the first dive, I switched to a loaner primary light as I knew my own torch would last only another 1 hour. I got to use a Flare 1.0, which had a really nice spot, but was also a *lot* dimmer than the Scubamafia XM3 I usually use. I missed my underwater sun a bit :)

Now, there as only two things left - the swim tests, and class debriefing. So we did go to Ginnie springs for a class thing after all, just not scuba diving :) I was happy to do the requisite 500m in under 12 minutes, and the breathhold was easy as pie as well - when you found a gap where no kids tried to divebomb on top of you. Ginnie still had a lot of party people around at 7PM on a Saturday, but less than we had expected.

It was almost 8 o'clock when we returned to EE for our debriefing - the longest day we'd had all class. Afterwards, we headed over to the Great Outdoors where the Frogkickers and a friend of theirs, Braxton, had invited us - and proceeded to also discuss the next day's diving! After dinner, we finally also moved my tanks and gear from Will's truck into my SUV - finally it was going to get a bit of spring water and sand into it.

Day 8 (Sunday, first day after course)

We met up at EE at 8 AM for chitchatting and tank fills - and it was actually a busy morning. Our caravan headed then to Ginnie springs, where Andrew, Tina, Braxton and me prepared to dive through the Ear. Braxton wasn't a GUE cave diver yet but had a cert from another agency, and was prepping to take C1 later this year. As our team was 4-strong, we split into two pairs and made clear and precise plans on how to proceed with the reel and jumps. It was nice that I already knew a bit about Ginnie, and now got to see a whole new region with us taking jumps onto the Bone line and up into the mud tunnels. The Ginnie version of a mud tunnel is interesting though - in some parts, you could drive a bus through it! It was also really nice to do a long proper cave dive relaxed without the stress of the classroom. When decompressing on the log, it was fun watching the sun shining down on the tannic river water which was flowing and storming over the gushing clear spring water - a really otherworldly feeling. Also, I'm happy that despite our class not going to Ginnie for actual in-course dives, I got to do what was often talked about i.e. going through the Ear with both a stage and an oxygen bottle. :)

The rest of my dive team had to depart, but I had the next plan lined up - a friend of Will's, Taylor, who did his C1 earlier this year, showed up and we shook hands. It's really amazing how one can just meet a person for the first time, go quickly over a dive plan, and proceed into a cave with them! GUE allows for some pretty awesome diving and meeting new people. Taylor had left his reel in on the previous dive (it was quite quiet in Ginnie, not many divers or even campers), so we took the Eye, which was nice and new for me. We proceeded along the main line, with full tanks but using C1 rules, and Taylor had a clear goal - he wanted to see the Maple Leaf formation. Well, we did reach it, just on turn pressure, but afterwards I tried to impart some of the wisdom from C2... You guessed it! Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

For comparison, we did a second C1 dive with the same tanks, and this time I put in the reel through the Eye (being unaccustomed to the flow), and taking it slower, with quite a bit less gas to use, we got nearly as far in. That was the end of my dives for this trip, though, as I had decided to dedicate the Monday for laundry, work, packing, and relaxing. I had met a lot of new people, made new friends, and been invited to stay and dive in Florida whenever I get the opportunity. This was a very, very different trip from the previous one to Mexico - but indeed a stronger learning experience. I actually do recommend taking the plunge and diving and taking courses with complete strangers - with GUE, you're always sure to find amazing people to dive with.

The trip back home starts tomorrow. It's really unfathomable, that a trip is over, and soon I'll be back in the everyday life of Finland instead of just days of hauling tanks and diving some of the most awesome caves in the world. So long, Florida, hello Finland!

Post-trip debriefing

The trip is over, the luggage has arrived (though about 20 hours later than I did), and it's time to wrap up. I did 16 dives (plus some open water drills) over 7 days, got to see a whole bunch of varied, beautiful and majestic caves, and got a whole new perspective on what it means to be a cave diver. It was *so* worth it to go to Florida for C2. I guess Florida people can also learn a lot by visiting caves in other places, even Mexico (well, at least for navigation), but there really is something to be said for cave country and the people there.

As the report on diving on the 8th kind of revealed, I did pass the class, despite at many points during the class feeling I wasn't performing at the level a Cave 2 diver should. However, when pushed, I had to admit that I had been able to improve my results and capabilities in many important ways, and had a clear idea of what to do for further rehearsing and training. I'm at the bottom of the ladder of Cave 2 divers, but following another old wisdom - only after being taught, can you know what you don't yet know (or do not yet have a good skill set in). Now I know! :)

This trip and course gave me a different kind of respect for caves - I wouldn't say I'd become exactly complacent, but diving at the C1 level is still very much going in with training wheels. I guess I hadn't really taken to heart the message that Cave 1 is a license to learn - a license to dive the different caves of the world and build up those skills. Doing a bit of line work on rocks in an open quarry or running the reel in a simple mine environment will not teach you what's needed in the big world - you need to push yourself a lot to become better and more versatile, including learning how different types of caves differ. Sure, some things you only get taught in C2 so it can be challenging to practice them before, but there are a lot of things you can do. For example, my comfort with using a stage helped a lot, but on the other hand I did have old habits to unlearn.

Taking a leap of faith and signing up for a class with random strangers was a really good experience. You have to put yourself out there, but you also learn a lot, meet new people, and have a very different and interesting course dynamic. I actually recommend it a lot after this experience - especially at the higher tiers of training. Will was a superb dive and course buddy, and I was felt privileged to get to take the course with someone who has such levels of in-water comfort and confidence.

I now have a lot of new options available to me, but also the responsibility of weighing those options, and making sure I only progress at a speed which is safe. Combining a hectic academic life with starting a family is a challenging time to try and be an active cave diver, but it is possible. Being awarded a GUE Cave 2 card from Florida is a point of pride, but also a high bar to live up to. I truly believe it will be important for me to travel the world and dive the different caves in order to build, improve, and keep up the skills which allow me to safely and efficiently traverse underwater cave environments. There is no substitute for real experience when you need to learn to read how caves of a particular region form, how you need to orient yourself there, and how the better and worse stations interact with your linework. I progressed on my path towards mastery, but am still very much an apprentice. I definitely intend to return to Florida for more awesome dives - hopefully sooner rather than later. At the same time, it'll be great to experience again new types of caves, so perhaps France or Sardinia will beckon sooner, after all. There are so many options available!

Lovely report, thank you!

Great report! And thanks for the advice after our first Ginnie dive. I've really been trying to focus on going slower and taking in the cave. I'm probably still speeding along a bit too much, but I've noticed a significant improvement in not just air consumption, but how much I get out of the dive and the things I notice. Every dive is a challenge to go a bit slower and be a bit more present.

I've been using our dives as an example to sell people on GUE. It's really remarkable to be able to meet up with a complete stranger from another country who's been trained by different instructors in a different environment and just go cave diving like we've been diving together for years. If you make it down to Florida again, give me a shout and I'll meet you there!

Nice report; Thank you.

Thanks for the lengthy and detailed report. Would you mind sharing the instructor you took Cave 1 with?

Great report! And thanks for the advice after our first Ginnie dive.
I've been using our dives as an example to sell people on GUE. It's really remarkable to be able to meet up with a complete stranger from another country who's been trained by different instructors in a different environment and just go cave diving like we've been diving together for years. If you make it down to Florida again, give me a shout and I'll meet you there!

Thanks, yeah! It was great :) I'll definitely let you know when I'm next coming over :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom