Wildlife Laws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Ok I'm sure there are rules about feeding the marine wildlife in RI but where do I find said rules and regulations?

Ok so it is Rhode Island we're talking about but I'm sure there's some law. I really don't foresee a game warden snorkelling over to give me a ticket. I wanted to use a piece of bread to make my photographic subjects cooperate.

I love to feed fish and watch them swarm around. I've fed skates and yes lobsters. Go grab a small box of squid from a bait shop cut them in two and put them in a small bag and have fun. Don't worry about laws unless you are poisioning them; I know of no laws regarding marinelife feeding in RI.

I'm glad youre feeding them rather than harming them.

Enjoy

Chris

I think the only thing you need to worry about is the Marine Mammal Protection Act. So just don't feed any seals, dolphins or whales and you should be within the law.

I guess the rare marine deer Matt mentioned would qualify as marine mammals too. Oddly enough I was talking to a former commercial fisherman last year who claimed he once saw a deer swimming halfway between the RI coast and Block Island.

Last weekend I saw tons of fish and crabs at low tide over by the eel grass but it is very hard to get fish to pose for pictures so I thought a little piece of bread might help. I suppose squid might help getting the carnivores like the senetts to cooperate a little better as well. Squid is smelly though, not sure I want to be covered in squid oil :wink:

Another thought is to use what's there. Open an oyster, cut up an urchin or a crab. Something that's there and plenty of and it's their natural food anyway. No need to bring anything.

The squid is usually frozen and can be cooked or used as bait. It isnt very messy and comes in a small handsized box.

ScubaSarus:
The squid is usually frozen and can be cooked or used as bait. It isnt very messy and comes in a small handsized box.

So Chris....does this thread have you wondering why they asked you out on that Shark trip and why Scott insisted that you swim outside of the cage? Dive buddy or bait? :eyebrow:

Duh, I'll just open some mussels. Thanks :D The only squid I wish to handle shall be at the end of chopsticks, NOT getting all over my wetsuit. If I volunteer to be bait can I come on the shark charter at ultra-reduced rates?

Back
Top Bottom