Wife describes losing husband - Maui, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She's an attorney. She's probably just tuning up for a lawsuit. Other aspects of her narrative imply blame or carelessness on the part of the dive op.

Well that's part I took issue with. This would be a horrible thing for anyone to experience, and I feel for her. What I didn't like was that she seemed to be imply that training regimes and dive operators were the cause for her not knowing about the dangers of diving, specifically narcosis. Blaming others for a lack of personal responsibility happens every day, but when you take on a risky sport you also own the personal responsibility of making sure you are prepared. Personal responsibility, many don't know what it is or what it means, it's always someone else's fault. It's just the world we live in, but I don't like it and it jumped out at me. Gross negligence is one thing but, this does not sound like it to me. If she didn't learn it I'd ask why, since every cert course teaches it.

I'm not trying to sound hard on her, she experienced something horrible that nobody should experience, and knowing how dive accidents get reported this all could be just a bad writer that cant get facts straight, nobody knows but her and the people there.

A8...

Please correct if I'm wrong...I've read the two part thread twice...OW certification is to 60 ft...185/200 ft is not advanced...but tec...

What is an OW diver...certified to 60 ft...doing at 185/200 ft...

And...why are operators taking OW divers to those depths...this isn't a maybe...this is a recipe for a fatality...the thread clearly states...this was the first time the victim ''ever'' dove below 60 ft...

Is there something I have not read/understood correctly...

This goes a lot further than ''stressing the dangers''...this is wanton and willful negligence...

I'm waiting to read...single 3AL 80 with no redundancy...

W.W...
I think they went to 70 feet and then the victim took off on his own to deeper depths, apparently under the influence of narcosis. The victim's wife went after him to try to save him...the DMs didn't take them there, but dove to those depths to try to rescue at least one of them.

Well that's part I took issue with. This would be a horrible thing for anyone to experience, and I feel for her. What I didn't like was that she seemed to be imply that training regimes and dive operators were the cause for her not knowing about the dangers of diving, specifically narcosis. Blaming others for a lack of personal responsibility happens every day, but when you take on a risky sport you also own the personal responsibility of making sure you are prepared. Personal responsibility, many don't know what it is or what it means, it's always someone else's fault. It's just the world we live in, but I don't like it and it jumped out at me. Gross negligence is one thing but, this does not sound like it to me. If she didn't learn it I'd ask why, since every cert course teaches it.

I'm not trying to sound hard on her, she experienced something horrible that nobody should experience, and knowing how dive accidents get reported this all could be just a bad writer that cant get facts straight, nobody knows but her and the people there.
I hope she doesn't read this, I don't want to be hard on her either necessarily. I plainly know nothing about this first or even second hand. But the party atmosphere, the DM forcing her to watch sharks instead of following her buddy instinct, telling her it was OK, and sending her up involuntarily - could be the way a bereaved and troubled mind - she did drag her perfect and perfectly accommodating new beau into something he wasn't prepared for - retells a heartwrenching story, or it could be the reporter lending her slant to it in part. Or it could be more venal. What is dentondaily.com and why would they reprint this story a year after it was first published?

She's an attorney. She's probably just tuning up for a lawsuit. Other aspects of her narrative imply blame or carelessness on the part of the dive op.
Dude. That was unnecessary.

I understand we're here to talk about what went wrong and how we can prevent such incidents and accidents in the future, and that may produce some posts that are hard for victims/survivors and decedents' loved ones to read. But your post, besides not contributing to an understanding of how to prevent accidents, assumes malice rather than ignorance on her part, just based on her profession. You can do better.

Duplicated

Dude. That was unnecessary.

I understand we're here to talk about what went wrong and how we can prevent such incidents and accidents in the future, and that may produce some posts that are hard for victims/survivors and decedents' loved ones to read. But your post, besides not contributing to an understanding of how to prevent accidents, assumes malice rather than ignorance on her part, just based on her profession. You can do better.
Mostly guilty as charged, though I don't see either malice or ignorance assumed. It's not solely her profession, it's also the way the story reads. Do 30-year divers customarily eschew any personal agency from retelling of diving incidents they are party to? If this forum is intended solely to be restricted only to the diving aspects of accidents and incidents, I apologize, and I or a mod can take down the post/re-posts.

Mostly guilty as charged, though I don't see either malice or ignorance assumed. It's not solely her profession, it's also the way the story reads. Do 30-year divers customarily eschew any personal agency from retelling of diving incidents they are party to? If this forum is intended solely to be restricted only to the diving aspects of accidents and incidents, I apologize, and I or a mod can take down the post/re-posts.
Remember, she didn't write the story. Not only can there be some distortion when reporting a story, but you are not reading a transcript of a complete interview. I am sure that just a fraction of what she had to say made it to press - just the most eye-catching and interesting tidbits - and without the context of the full conversation the reader's impression can be quite skewed by the way it was written.

I don't want to pile on, but reading the (poorly written) report, she states that the DM pointing out the shark distracted them from buddying up.... But earlier in the report, she apparently left her husband as he had trouble descending, and waited for him below with the group. So really, they had already neglected to properly buddy up. And really, there is going to be a lot of sights during a dive. It's up to divers to maintain buddy contact despite all the distractions.

Also, I don't think a dive op is responsible for reminding folks about narcosis.

I suppose if I lost a loved one, I might try to cast about for blame. But I don't really see anything wrong about the dive op, except maybe the pulling of the "rip cord" for her, and who knows what that's accurately conveyed.

Molokini Back Wall is a vertical wall down to about 300 feet. Dives are generally somewhere around 90-70 feet.
That was my experience. Backside of Molokini was open to everyone as we were in that range. As it was a group dive with a DM watching us as we drifted along, it was up to us to decide what depths we were at. Once we were low on gas, we each ascended individually back to the boat.

Back
Top Bottom