Wide Fins/Adjustable Fin Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Low-Key87

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I'm cursed when it comes to fins...I have a 10.5 foot (US) and its very wide. Inevitably I end up with foot/lower leg cramps when diving. I've tried going from a L to an XL with little luck, the XL ends up too large. The research I've done has only turned up suggestions of fins that "run wide". Does anyone know of any manufacturer that actually has a specific WIDE fin? Or even better, a fin that has an adjustable foot pocket? I'm looking for something more technical over recreational (no split fins) preferably with some snap (not a huge fan of jet fins) and perform well when frog kicking. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

-Travis

Good to know, I also have a large bony instep so a soft, wide, deep and tall pocket would probably work, thanks Wayne

Hey all,

I'm cursed when it comes to fins...I have a 10.5 foot (US) and its very wide.
I'm a 10.5EE with a high instep so I feel your pain. I 2nd the recommendations here for Hollis F1 and Force Fins. I have the F1 in XL and find them comfortable overall but somewhat large and heavy. I also have three pair of Force Fins, two in XL and one in XXL. As suggested, with the comfort inserts on the XXL you can cover all the different bootie sizes. Guess I'm a bit of a fan boy but the Force Fins work better for me than anything else, although I'm not giving up the F1's either.

Hope this helps.

I'm looking for something more technical over recreational (no split fins) preferably with some snap and perform well when frog kicking.

Not to get in a big debate...... Don't think it will be a Force Fin!

I'm looking for something more technical over recreational (no split fins) preferably with some snap and perform well when frog kicking.

Not to get in a big debate...... Don't think it will be a Force Fin!

Maybe you need to do a search for Dan Volker's posts on Force fin Excellerators and Hockey Fins (or even Force Fin
Extras). They outperform Jets or any other fin out there for technical diving. If you can find a pair of them in Tan Delta Material, the snap will amaze you. They perform EVERY kick you can imagine.

Please try and learn about a product before you trash it.

My comment are actually from experience. I have done 12 dives (not just 1 or 2) and I will stand behind my comments. FYI, I will actually post in my comments if I have not personally tried the product. A lot of what I promote gets divers to work more efficiently in the water and in my opinion it is easier and you get more performance when doing the advanced finning techniques, when you use a Jet style fin over the other fins that are on the market.

Interesting video by Dan Volker...... where's the Force Fin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNU-7pxGV1U

Not going to go round and round but I actually do the dives and it's rare to see a Tec Diver (what works on a Tec level, works on a Rec level) in a Force Fin, that's got to be telling you something. In the end, different strokes for different folks, that's why you got Vanilla. Chocolate and strawberry flavors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom